Need Advise....iTunes & Storage Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kamikaze, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Kamikaze macrumors member

Hello,

I just purchased a mirrored raid device with two 1tb drives. I moved all of my media (movies, music, pix, etc.) to this drive to keep it off of my iMac HD. The reason for this move is it was exceeding our internal 250gb's size.
    I redirected the iTunes prefs to pull the music (for example) off of this drive yet iTunes keeps "playing" the files off of the internal drive. :confused:
    My question is what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else done this?
    Or do any of you fine folk have better way to do this.:):)

BTW I will be streaming all of these files to my AppleTV, and a couple of PB's at any given time.

Thanks for the help!:D

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I just moved my iTunes video to an external.

I removed the files from iTunes without deleting the internal files. Under iTunes Preferences > Advanced > General, I checked off "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

Then I moved the files to the external and added them back to iTunes and deleted the internal files.

3. Kamikaze thread starter macrumors member

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

5. guitarman1 macrumors newbie

switching fom external drive itunes library to internal drive itunes library

I have a powerbook and a 1 TB external drive. I want to store all my itune library on the external drive.
    Here is what I want to do.
    When I have the external drive plug to my powerbook it will access the library on the external drive. (large library). And when I use the powerbook remotely w/o external drive it will access a smaller library I keep on the powerbook hard drive.

will I need to go to preferences each time I travel w/o external drive to switch libraries?

or is there a itunes manager available that can help achieve this.
    :apple:

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You should be able to do this by holding down the option key when opening iTunes and selecting what library you want to use.