Need advise on burning DVD from MPEGs - Digital Video Newbie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lunchbox16, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Lunchbox16 macrumors member

I looked through the forum and couldn't find answers to my specific inquiries, so if there is a thread that I missed please pass it along.

My cousin recently video recorded large parts of my Wedding and related festivities. He sent me a DVD with the raw MPEG files on it that I would like to put together as a coherent DVD. I don't want to edit any of the clips, I just want to be able to organize them in iDVD or iMovie. Therefore, what I need is a tutorial and/or information about how to convert these MPEG files to a format that will work with either program. My main caveat is that I don't want to lose any video quality. Is that even possible? Please let me know what programs would be sufficient for undertaking this project.

I've downloaded Handbrake and tried to just convert the MPEG to MPEG-4, but a 13.7MB file was reduced to 4MB and the video seemed pretty grainy.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    LBX

2. cncpaul macrumors newbie

try opening the files with quicktime. If that works then open the first one and let it play to the end or drag it to the end and just keeping dragging each file onto the quicktime window in the order you want, making sure always to be at the end of the clip. Once thats done save it or try and close the window it will prompt you to save. Quicktime will take all your clips and make them into one file. the only downfall is that it will be a .mov, but you can open the new file you just made and export into another file or take the new file into toast and burn it to DVD. Toast will convert to for you so that it will play on you DVD player.
    I hope this helps