Need advise on dealing with an eBay buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oneMadRssn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

I would like some advise on a situation I am in.

I sold an AppleTV 2nd gen on eBay. It had OS version 5.3, so it was jail breakable and thus more valuable. I took photos before sending to prove this.

The buyer claims the remote doesn't work and he can't jailbreak it, and thus wants a refund. He also updated the OS to 6.1 and now it's no longer jail breakable, nor is it possible to downgrade it back to 5.3.

I told him he needs to send it back to me first before getting a refund.

What should I do about the OS version? This buyer essentially made the item less valuable by updating it. Would it be alright to refuse the return, because it's not in the same condition? Should I refund him less $20 because he ruined the value of the item? Or should I just eat the loss?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on the loss of value.

If your listing says no refunds if you update the firmware or something similar, than you got a strong case.

When I sell a jailbreaked product, I make sure people know that they should not update the firmware.

People who want a JB device usually understands it. Thus, I suspect that he'll send you back a non-JB one with a different serial.

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Since the buyer substantially altered the ATV, I would refuse return. The buyer would not be returning the item you sold.

4. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Agree!

I would not eat anything as he changed the firmware from the configuration you sent and there's no way to go back.

However, you should be prepared to get a negative feedback, and then give him a negative feedback indicating he altered the item.

5. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Unfortunately, as I understand it, the seller can no longer give negative feedback. If the remote doesn't work offer to refund him £20 to buy a new remote, or buy one for £10 on eBay and send it to him. Explain to him that you will only refund him the market value for the item which he has now significantly blown! It is unfair for you to absorb that damage! Obviously learn from this though that when selling any jail broken device to state return/refund conditions in the ad (as mentioned by an earlier poster).

I fear paypal may try to force you to refund the money if the buyer opens a dispute however you need to set your case as he is trying to return a heavily devalued product. Withdraw the money to your bank ASAP and disassociate your bank account from you paypal account. PayPal once took money from my bank to refund an overseas buyer who claimed not to have received the item. Unfortunately I could not send via recorded delivery to the buyers country so I lost out.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Based on my experience with eBay they strongly favor the buyer in these disputes. He is going to dispute saying it does not work properly and (assuming it is not working) eBay will side with the buyer and you will lose.

7. oneMadRssn thread starter Suspended

oneMadRssn

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. I think I'll decide what to do once I receive the return.

8. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

isn't it illegal to jail break it? It's like selling a hackingtosh.

Either way they are going to give you negative rep. I wouldn't refund it to them because it's like them breaking your iPhone screen then asking for a refund.

9. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

I don't think Jailbreaking itself is illegal but many of the apps available for Jailbroken devices are. Either way, Jailbroken or not, an Apple TV on an old OS is worth more than a brand new one.

10. Saltymac macrumors member

1. Make sure you respond timely to all the open case messages from ebay/ paypal.

2. Depends on what you stated in listing about refunds. They will go by what you have listed. If you did not cover yourself with no refund or a 3 day no modification clause you will have to stand on the modification issue.

3. He has modified the device and made it less valuable. Make sure you document this in you case responses. It is an electronic device so the buyer could have damaged it to make it not work. if you are thinking about taking it back play the game with the buyer or he can damage the device so it won't work before he sends it back.

11. oneMadRssn thread starter Suspended

oneMadRssn

All's well that ends well.

The buyer just sent me a message that essentially said his cousin was able to jailbreak the appleTV for him and he is now satisfied, although the remote still doesn't work (?). He then left me positive feedback on ebay.

Thanks again for the tips guys!

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

sounds like he tried to scam you and got cold feet.

13. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

exactly !! Amazon is even worse man. They would have refunded the buyer before you got your item back if you ever got it.

14. gloriathayer, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

gloriathayer macrumors newbie

yes! Don't settle for the refund. He shouldn't made changes... the changes caused the problem so it was not on your part

Toxic Avenger Bondage Pants