Need advise on encryption method for ipad iphone back ups

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SkyStudios, Mar 23, 2011.

1. SkyStudios macrumors member

SkyStudios

Hi

I need to back up certain files ( photos, videos, texts) securely and want to ask what apps out there do the job online, dropbox is not safe but i read around that as long as your backing encrypted files like 1password its safe., i could be wrong of course.

What is the safest method, can anyone share or suggest?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

DropBox is very secure and safe. The attack mentioned in that article say how the two default folders could be used to view the other files and folders within them. The fix: just delete the Public and Photos folders when they are created by DropBox the first time a machine syncs with it. For even more protection, dont share any folders or files at all.

5. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

Appreciate your post and help,

I do doubt anyone would agree that ANYTHING is safe online, NOTHING IS UN HACKABLE, with that said my question is what can one do to back up ENCRYPTED files, one would be naive to put sensitive information on the net period and with that said and the US state department advising employees to never put anything online i think its best to encrypt the files to be safe dont you, do you know any apps that encrypt and export backups to dropbox etc?

thanks again

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A person's DropBox storage is encrypted using AES 256-bit encryption. Using a combination of the first computer's IP address, MAC address, password, and seconds from epoch. And as you said everything is hackable. Even an encrypted disk image you make or anything else you could post on the internet.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

EDIT: Due to a magical iPhone bug, the previous post was posted twice, but about two hours apart.

8. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

lol

well thanks allot its good to know, i guess i wont be putting clients sessions online for a while until im more confident that no one will rip of their work.