Need advise quick please! 13" 2009 MBA for a 15" 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sgalbo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. sgalbo macrumors newbie

I have the MBA
    Originally released mid 2009
    (with the 1 USB)

13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    128GB solid-state drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Running Lion

And the person wants to trade a MBP

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" Early 2011 2.2 GHz Core i7 (I7-2720QM)
    MC723LL/A Model No: A1286 (EMC 2353-1*)
    Model ID: MacBookPro8,2
    RAM: 4 GB Std. VRAM: 1 GB*
    HD: 750 GB (5400 RPM)
    8X DL "SuperDrive"

plus $800 said he paid 2400 it is only 4 months old, is it worth it or no? My year warranty runs out in 2 days on my Air.

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Umm....is it just me or does something seem a little odd about this deal :confused:

3. sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

He wants the MBA and $800 that wasn't clear after reading my op. Sorry

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

go for it

im guessing the air isn't used much anyway and is really laggy running lion with the pro you get expandability and much faster graphics and processor etc

also you jhavent mentioned what you need it for if you are thinking about keeping the air then you obviously do not need powerful graphics or processors for your laptop which would make the pro over kill

if your laptop is only for web browsing email documents etc i would not suggest going with the pro but selling your current air and saving up for when the new air comes out in 15 inch or new pro

5. sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

I use it for work spreadsheets etc.. internet and all of that,watching movies I just feel the air is small when I'm working in 2 windows

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Another poster on this site got ripped off on a trade just like this one. The machine he got was not the same as was advertised. It was one of these craig list swaps in the parking lot deals. Tread carefully if you want to go through with this.

7. sgalbo, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh really. Can you point me to the thread i would like to see if it was close to me he wants to meet in a highly public coffee shop. Now I'm a little nervous. He did provide me with the serial number and its valid from apple.

Found them yikes! Thanks for the heads up

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I can't find the thread, it is at least several months old. But I will tell you what to look for. His machine is basically brand new and it should look it. It has to boot and you need to go into "about this mac" and verify that it's hardware is as advertised.

What happened to the other guy in this trade he didn't do these things and when he got it home the machine was (supposed to be brand new) scratched and it was really 2 years old.

So I don't want to scare you off but if his laptop was yours would you make this trade? If the deal as advertised is so lopsided to your side I would think something is fishy.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I found that post... you can judge how good my memory is... be careful...

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1161820.html

10. sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, he emailed me last light and asked if it was ok to leave snow leopard on it as he just did the reinstall. He said this was purchased in 6/2011 and I have verified this but wouldn't it have Lion on it? Mine was purchased in Dec 2010 and thy gave me a free Lion upgrade when it came out. Well going to meet him at noon that just struck me as odd

11. Drew89 macrumors newbie

so you're giving him an Air and $800...that sounds odd.

12. sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

it was a first gen air. He wanted something more portable

13. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If you meet report back here as to how it goes. Just make sure his machine at least has a Thunderbolt port on it. As that link I posted the about this mac info can be edited to make it look like a better machine than it really is. Just be prepared to walk away.

14. sgalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it!

It has everything with it box etc.. verified all info with Apple and swapped over registration , it is mint, he was just looking for something lighter.. It does have the thunderbolt port and came with a new case and bag, pretty excited it all worked out. Thank all of you for your input and help!