Need All-In-One Printer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by silver25u, Jun 12, 2013.

1. silver25u macrumors member

My son just killed our HP Officejet Pro 8600. I'm looking for a new AIO with enhanced airprint and internet services since my wife uses an ipad full time. Ideally I'd like to be able to scan to ipad. If not do any have the ability to scan/print to dropbox or google docs/drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I too am looking for a new scanner/AIO and my requirements are similar to yours.

The main thing I am looking for is better network scanning.

With the Canon MX860 I can already scan to iPad with Vuescan, but it's cumbersome and what I really want to do is scan to my NAS or dropbox/Google Drive or even to e-mail.

The MX860 worked great up to OS X 10.6, I'd scan to an SD card in the printer and pick it up over SMB. 10.7 broke this and the printer crashes when I retrieve a file. Works fine from my lone Windows box though...

B

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

HP printers have some new features for mobile devices and e-printing. I'm a fan of the Photosmart line since I never fax.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have a recent model and experience with from the scan function? What I want (and seems to correlate with silver25u's desires) is a device that can scan to the cloud or to an iPad (though as I mentioned there are already Apps for that if you want to control it from the iPad).

B

6. silver25u, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

silver25u thread starter macrumors member

The HP Officejet 8600 does a good job for basic airprint printing.. but you can't scan to ios with HP printer (as far as I can tell). I think I'm really looking for something along the lines of Epson's Epson Connect but not sure which model. My interest in dropbox/google connectivity is as a secondary to being able to scan without a traditional computer.

I found this chart from Epson concerning airprint and other features.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It is on the list of supported printers for VueScan. Which means you can scan to iPad if you control it from the iPad.

B

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Sorry I don't. My own Photosmart is almost 5 years old. I've been shopping around for a new printer though, and HP has been advertising printing from mobile devices. I'm pretty sure you can scan to email, but I'm not sure about scanning to a mobile device.