Need an advice on setup/mac pro

DrDmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Hey everyone,

Being a long time reader of these forums, this is my first post.

Having just sold my whole computer setup that was outdated, I need to get a new one.

I almost made up my mind, but I would like the opinion of others on this simply to compare.

I have around a 4-5k budget to get myself a whole new setup.

Being a student, an avid gamer and also doing a lot of video editing and processing,graphic work professionally, I was wondering what would be the best option for me.

I am was thinking into buying a 13 inch mba for all my work on the go as I travel a lot during the week and a new Mac Pro if they update it soon as my main workstation on which i could dump all the more intense tasks.

That being said I also considered the iMac, but the graphics card in there is a mobile version and I think that I could really benefit from the better processor of the mac pro.

What is your take on this?

Thank you for your advice!

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Well, if I was buying now, I'd upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 5870, certainly, then get a bunch of RAM from a third party to upgrade (Apple's RAM upgrade prices are a bit high, personally I'd recommend Crucial RAM). I'd figure out my storage needs, and then see how much is left in my budget. AppleCare is a pretty good idea, so get that. Any money leftover, get as beefy a CPU as I can.

If you're waiting for the new Mac Pros, wait and see what comes out. You'd use pretty much the same strategy figuring out your model. Upgrade to best gaming-quality GPU, get a ton of third-party RAM, figure out your storage needs, and spend any leftover on a better CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.