Need an advice on setup/mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DrDmg, May 27, 2012.

1. DrDmg macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Being a long time reader of these forums, this is my first post.

Having just sold my whole computer setup that was outdated, I need to get a new one.

I almost made up my mind, but I would like the opinion of others on this simply to compare.

I have around a 4-5k budget to get myself a whole new setup.

Being a student, an avid gamer and also doing a lot of video editing and processing,graphic work professionally, I was wondering what would be the best option for me.

I am was thinking into buying a 13 inch mba for all my work on the go as I travel a lot during the week and a new Mac Pro if they update it soon as my main workstation on which i could dump all the more intense tasks.

That being said I also considered the iMac, but the graphics card in there is a mobile version and I think that I could really benefit from the better processor of the mac pro.

What is your take on this?

Thank you for your advice!

2. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

If Apple doesn't ruin the MBP, I'd say get an Ivy 15" or 17" in the next few months. Then invest in a good 30" Monitor.

3. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Well, if I was buying now, I'd upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 5870, certainly, then get a bunch of RAM from a third party to upgrade (Apple's RAM upgrade prices are a bit high, personally I'd recommend Crucial RAM). I'd figure out my storage needs, and then see how much is left in my budget. AppleCare is a pretty good idea, so get that. Any money leftover, get as beefy a CPU as I can.

If you're waiting for the new Mac Pros, wait and see what comes out. You'd use pretty much the same strategy figuring out your model. Upgrade to best gaming-quality GPU, get a ton of third-party RAM, figure out your storage needs, and spend any leftover on a better CPU.