Need an advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chrismarle, May 9, 2012.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

Hi guys? How are you doing? Hope you're doing well!

I need an advice.

I'm waiting for the next refresh of the iMac but I really need one ASAP. I just don't know that to do: should I buy a 2011 iMac or wait?

Thanks guys!

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

If you need it now, get it now. What big benefit do you personally gain from the expected update in the 2012 model other than the newest hotness?

3. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

Only you can decide that. It sounds like the new ones are coming very soon, but then again... it's been what, 2 years now? There is no guarantee a new one will be coming around.

On the other side of things, if you are willing to risk it but ABSOLUTELY need something now, maybe you should consider going with a less-expensive option that you only use temporarily, and then pick up a new Pro when they come out (if it is within 30 days you could theoretically return it, but I'm not suggesting using a company like that).

4. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

It's just that I feel like if I would have been buying an iPad 2 for 499$ and the next day the new iPad would be on sale for 499$.

I just want to get the most with the money I'll put on it.

5. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Ask yourself this:
    What doesn't the current model have that you need ?
    If the answer is nothing then buy now.
    If it is imperative that you have a computer now, get the current model. Remember just because they might be announced any day doesn't mean that you will be able to get one the same day its released. You might have to order it and wait putting your delivery off further.

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Too much hedging here. Some say buy it now if you need it immediately. Some say if you can wait, then wait. I know that they are not really helping you.

Since the buy-it-now-if-you-need-it-now, and the wait-if-you-don't-need-it-now answers are so blindingly obvious, you clearly want someone to tell you what to do since the decision criteria seem so obvious.

So, I'm going to tell you the absolute right answer. I'm going to tell you exactly what to do, no hedging or requiring you to make your own decision based on obvious criteria.

Here it comes, answer is

8. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

;) ohh sarcasm and best kind of humor :D

9. emoore macrumors regular

Pretty sure they were updated last year and not 2 years ago. I'm sure an update is coming soon but either machine will be good.

10. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

It was 2 summers ago, according to the MR Buyer's guide. Can't wait for the refresh though, hopefully it runs miles around other machines.

11. BlueFinch macrumors newbie

BlueFinch

Sure? ;) The last iMac was released one year ago.

But, yes the Mac Pro was released 2 years ago.

12. Scrapula macrumors 6502

If you need a computer now, then buy one now.

Honestly, what is there that you will need on the next refresh?

Ivy Bridge? Only if you are concerned with heat.
    Anti-Glare Screen? - Crisper images with high gloss. Read reviews of the Dell Ultrasharp 2711 IPS display and see if that's the way you want to go.
    Faster GPS - Probably marginally faster, but you can play all games out now on the current iMac.

13. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't knew that the iMac had GPS :D

It has what I want, but since I'm going to pay around 3000$ for it, I rather wait to get the fresh new one but unfortunately, I'm tired of waiting and I need it ASAP so I did this thread to ask everyone what I should do.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'd hold out for the 2014 iMac, honestly. It's gonna be DOOOOOPPPE.

If you need it now just get it. If you find you like the new iMacs when they come out, Macs have very high resale value, so you shouldn't have a problem selling it for a nice chunk of change to put towards a future purchase.

15. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

At this point, what is the longest he will be warning? 3 weeks? 4-5? In all truthfulness, we are only at a max a little over a month away from seeing the new iMacs. That's all there is to it. Ask yourself this, can I wait 3-4 weeks? Cause really, apple won't hold them back much longer.

16. HeIIo macrumors newbie

People were saying this 3-4 weeks ago.

17. mikdog macrumors member

Well, I've recently bought a second-hand iMac (3.4Ghz i7 16GB ram 27"). Like you, I pontificated for a week or so. I trolled these forums, looked for any clues about a new launch. Then I realized the new launch may only be June, some people told me even October. Then I realized that even if a new iMac launched today, South Africa would only get it like, a month or two later. And I'm getting a little weary of my old Core 2 Duo Macbook's speed, so, if you can afford it and need it now for something, get it now. But seriously ask the question - do you really NEED a new machine? Can you live with your current setup?

But - if you wait, you could end up waiting a good long while. Is it worth it? From what I gather (my machine is probably getting to me tomorrow) the current gen are pretty rad. I'd suggest though, getting an SSD instead of HDD. That seems to be the best kind of upgrade at this point.