Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chinacat456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I'm looking for an alarm clock app that does 3 things:
1. Allows an adjustable snooze time
2. Still sounds when my phone is in silent mode
3. Can run in background i.e. app does not have to be running for my alarms to go off

I have been searching for days through forums, articles, and the app store and I can't find one that does all of these things. I would use the native iphone clock but the snooze duration isn't adjustable...my only issue with it. Can anyone suggest a good app??? Please!

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

While it doesn't offer all of the features you desire, there is a Cydia app called Alarming that turns the volume up when an alarm sounds. I couldnt find a solution for your requests without looking at Cydia.

mltaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I use an app called Alarm Clock (great, creative name) and it is pretty nice.

I started using it because I had some issues with the stock alarms. It goes off while the app is actually closed so it opens itself when the alarm is set to go off and I havent had any issues with it. It also also different colors for the time and you can have it show the current weather.

Had to edit my typo.

Last edited:

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I haven't personally used it, but Alarm Clock Pro in the App Store seems to satisfy two of your wants. It allows for customisable snooze times and it works in the background. I think you'll find that no app in the App store would be able to play sounds when in silent mode, as I believe that breaches Apple's list of allowed functionality.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I would use the native iphone clock but the snooze duration isn't adjustable...

Is there a problem with just setting multiple alarms in the native app? That's what I do. I have 3 alarms, each 5 minutes apart. Then I have one more that's half an hour later and a much louder annoying sound. That's my ultra-emergency backup!

chinacat456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
that's actually a pretty good idea. hadn't thought of it. maybe i'll use that in the meantime until my wish is granted. i would prefer the option of snoozing, rather than having pre-defined snoozes via additional alarms.

Orion126

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
that's actually a pretty good idea. hadn't thought of it. maybe i'll use that in the meantime until my wish is granted. i would prefer the option of snoozing, rather than having pre-defined snoozes via additional alarms.

iPhone alarm snoozes. For example:

I wake up at 4:50 hit snooze, then again at 5:00 snooze, then at 5:08 it goes off again. If I don't turn it off after that it wakes me again at 5:14.

Not sure how many minutes it counts down to.

Laika37

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Try Alarmed. It's free, I know it has adjustable snooze times, and it works in the background. I'm not sure about the phone being on silent though..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.