Need an alternative to Quicktime.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pravius, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Pravius macrumors regular

I have been reading the forums, searched, and ran a few google searches with no luck. I am looking to be able to view embedded videos in full screen with my mac. Now everyone seems to know this is not possible with the Quicktime plugin. I have downloaded Flip 4 Mac but all that seems to do is allow Quicktime to play WMV files from what I have seen.

Does anyone know an alternative to use for videos embedded into a webpage so that I can view them in full screen mode?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What kind of embedded videos? Are they Flash based?

3. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

All types. The one I am trying to view right now is DivX I did download the DivX codec so that quicktime can play the file but apparently there is a restriction on the quicktime plugin to where I cannot enter fullscreen mode.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can't just assume that your "problem" is QuickTime and that you can solve it by finding an alternative. You are dealing with a restriction that may have been imposed by the website and the player that it chose.

If you want more specific help, then you need to give a link to the videos that you are trying to view.

5. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Actually yes I can, please allow me to cite specific forums that I have been viewing and doing research pointing out this is a restriction set in by Apple while trying to view videos using the Quicktime PLUGIN:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5103036

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_...ort-fullscreen-video-playback-on-the-web.html

http://homepage.mac.com/qt4web/QTBooks/updates.htm

http://www.businessinsider.com/hey-...cktime-plugin-support-fullscreen-video-2010-6

If you would like more information about this please let me know. It really does not matter the video format of the video. It's non flash based video formats that use the quicktime plugin in any internet browser to view videos in a webpage. Such as DivX, WMV, AVI, etc.

I just figured that this community so far has been more than helpful in assisting me in my transition from MAC to a PC and was looking for some tips that anyone has found while trying to do this. I do understand that it may also be a restriction by the developer of the website, however using WMP (Windows Media Player) I have no issue going into full screen mode. In windows there is a way to tie different types of File formats to open in different applications. This is the solution that I am looking for, as long as there is a browser plugin that will associate itself to different movie files (AVI, WMP, DIVX, ETC).

Also I would like to add, and not to sound egotistical, I am an IT professional by trade, I have been supporting Windows networks and Operating systems for about 7 years now, so I get technology. If there is some sort of script that I need to run I am pretty comfortable in doing so... however my goal if possible is to get rid of quicktime and use an application like VLC I just do not think that VLC has any sort of a browser plugin that will play video content like I am trying to do.

Outside of an internet browser, I have no issues entering full screen.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is needed. I've done some generic testing and I've gotten QuickTime media to playback in fullscreen mode within a web browser with no problems.

7. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a good example:

http://perian.org/#watch

Ironically it's about installing some quicktime supported codec's it seems. To my understanding of this issue is that this issue very well could be a code issue on the website, but the actual plugin does not allow you to enter full screen mode. What I would like to do is associate the filetype with another plugin that will allow this.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! It is amazing that so many users believe that installing their own codecs is a last resort workaround to an inherent weakness in QuickTime. The exact opposite is true. QuickTime is an extensible system. Apple provides a few codecs as part of the default installation. Professional Apple media applications install additional codecs. Some are installed by manufacturers. Apple endorses many optional codecs. If you own a Mac, then you should install Perian and Flip4Mac.

With very rare exception, user-installed codecs are a good thing.

9. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

No offense, but this really has nothing to do with my original question/problem.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I apologize. I misinterpreted your OP. I thought that you were having "problems" with video on one or more specific sites. I hadn't bothered to go through your links until now. I see that you don't have a specific problem. Your OP is just a general rant about QuickTime and the fact that the embedded QuickTime Player does not do full-screen.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. If Apple actually marketed like some companies, the Quicktime would be known as the "open" platform where it's "open" to other codecs, etc.

12. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Really was not as much of a rant as a legitimate question on if anyone has an alternative to quicktime as a browser plugin.