Need an answer concerning Mac OSX DVD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CosmoPilot, Dec 18, 2010.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

My friend has a 2009 Macbook (white) and wants to install Windows 7 32-bit via Boot Camp. The problem is, he doesn't have his original install disk. He's running 10.6.5

I have a 2010 MBP 13" (I'm running 10.6.5)

Will my install DVD (that came with my computer) put the correct drivers on his computer after windows is installed? I'm assuming since our computers are somewhat similar, this should work...after installed, the Apple Update utility in Windows should update everything correctly, right?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Need an answer as soon as possible, as we are going to try it in a couple hours.

Thanks,

Cosmo

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your computers have different chipsets. Those grey install discs are system specific so it's likely that your discs will not work. You can of course try.

AFAIK those are just updated. E.g. 3.1 update requires 3.0 which you can install from the install discs. I don't think the 3.0 version is available for download

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's worth a try. Unlike the retail discs, the grey ones don't need to have every driver under the sun, so they may just provided the specific drivers for that box, but it should not hurt anything to try.

Though, combined with BV's suggestion you might be able to extract the drivers you need manually from the updaters using WinRAR.

B

5. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

So is the consensus this would not hurt anything? I was under the impression that the DVD installation disk just installs a driver base for the MacBooks, because Windows works prior to doing this step (I.e, off Boot Camp Assistant). I didn't think the chip set had slot to do with this, I thought this was more for trackpad, backlit keyboard, etc.?

Should I give it the ol' college try?

Thanks

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Give it a try, it won't hurt. Windows provides drivers for most things so it's possible that you won't even need the Boot Camp drivers.

7. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And other drivers may be able to be downloaded from the vendor's site itself

9. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Everything worked fine. Ended up doing a time machine backup because we couldn't partition with all the crap he had. My disk would not install leopard, but we could access Utilities and backup from the disk. Also, my disk worked fine for the drivers. Afterwards, I did an Apple Updater and now all is good to go! Thanks for everyones help!