Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ALO3281

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Before anyone responds telling me to stop using drugs - I understand. I get it.

Recently I have smoked some marijuana, and I also had my "Final interview" for a new Apple retail store.

Does anyone know, as of April 2010, and as an Apple employee, whether or not retail stores drug tests new full-time employees?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It is fairly common practice at most places. It would not surprise me in the least if they will drug test you. Plus they will go around at random times and test everyone.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im not sure about Apple, but I know some large companies that do. I guess there is nothing you can do either way. You will just have to hope its out of your system before.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
I don't know. I've worked for a drug testing company in the past though, and what I can tell you is that the retention time (how long it stays detectable in your body) for cannabis is 7-30 days. They will use a urine test if they do test, (unlikely to use saliva or hair.) You won't find ANY drink/supplement that will fool the test, they are bulletproof. Good luck.

O/S

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Before anyone responds telling me to stop using drugs - I understand. I get it.

Recently I have smoked some marijuana, and I also had my "Final interview" for a new Apple retail store.

Does anyone know, as of April 2010, and as an Apple employee, whether or not retail stores drug tests new full-time employees?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

It would help if you gave a hint as to where you were. I don't believe drug testing is at all common in Canada (if its even allowed for most professions). In the US your chances are much higher (ooops, sorry) of getting tested. I suspect you are pretty safe in much of Europe as well.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
They do not drug test. How many more topics are going to be posted about this?

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Some say they do though. Its smart. If your so worried over it, then I guess you take drugs. If you refuse to take a test. Well theres the door. Dont let it hit you on the way out

They don't. I know 100% for fact because I used to work in Apple retail up until very recently.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Judging by the looks of most of the people that work at the Apple stores; I'm gonna go with no.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
At the risk of having this thread kicked into PRSI...

Do the citizens of "Land of Free" not see the problem with private company making it a condition of employment that you be tested for drug use?

I find it satisfyingly ironic that the US, Land of the Free - and by G-D we will send our troops to make you free!!! - lets a retail outlet test prospective hires to see if they may have recreationally smoked a drug that can be prescribed by doctors.

Does any other industrialized nation do this?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
At the risk of having this thread kicked into PRSI...

Do the citizens of "Land of Free" not see the problem with private company making it a condition of employment that you be tested for drug use?

I find it satisfyingly ironic that the US, Land of the Free - and by G-D we will send our troops to make you free!!! - lets a retail outlet test prospective hires to see if they may have recreationally smoked a drug that can be prescribed by doctors.

Does any other industrialized nation do this?

I find it ridiculous. I think if you're capable of doing your job, then you should be able to do whatever you want in your free time. I mean, I'm not so sure I want my doctor snorting lines of crack between patients, but if my cashier at Target smoked a bowl before he came in to work I couldn't care less as long as he could still run my items across the scanner.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
I find it ridiculous. I think if you're capable of doing your job, then you should be able to do whatever you want in your free time. I mean, I'm not so sure I want my doctor snorting lines of crack between patients, but if my cashier at Target smoked a bowl before he came in to work I couldn't care less as long as he could still run my items across the scanner.

And the rest of the developed world appears to agree with you.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

But the Apple store personnel are a little bit more than just cashiers. They actually have to communicate with the customers. In the end, it's up to Apple. It's their company; they can check them if they care to, in my opinion. I don't have to worry about these things.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
But the Apple store personnel are a little bit more than just cashiers. They actually have to communicate with the customers. In the end, it's up to Apple. It's their company; they can check them if they care to, in my opinion. I don't have to worry about these things.

Then they should be hired on whether they can communicate, not what they do in their off time. Or would you be OK with your employer making it a condition of your job that you stay out of the sun, and tests you for sun exposure, because they feel having a tan is bad for their business.

Or perhaps they test for alcohol consumption, because you might come in with a hangover one day.

Perhaps you are OK with them monitoring you TV habits - because watching late-night movies might mean you will come in tired.

Or, to keep the analogy really close. Your employer insists on monitoring your bike or car, because they don't want you breaking the law while riding or driving. Could be bad for business if you are tied up in court, or if a customer recognizes you as you slide through that stop sign.

I had thought that the American system was that it's citizens have the right to do anything, except for those rights that they have given away in the interest of their safety, well-being, and orderly functioning of Society.

Am I wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.