Need an app that will keep MBP awake!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Goober0311, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Goober0311 macrumors member

I am looking for an app that will keep my MBP awake when I close the lid. I hook up the MBP to the TV alot and watch movies. I hate having the lid open. Can someone help please?

2. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Don't have my MB with me, but think you can go into System Preferences and change the settings for this...

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You just need an external keyboard or mouse. Close the computer with the TV plugged in, click on the mouse or a button on the keyboard and it will wake up and you can use it with the TV.

4. cawesjmu, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I guess you don't have a bluetooth mouse or keyboard? Or a USB memory stick or anything? Once you hook up the TV, close the lid and then hit a button the mouse/keyboard, or plug in a memory stick or something. But you still need to be able to hit "play" so you'll need a mouse or iPhone virtual mouse "remote pad" or something.

Otherwise, just leave it open and turn down the brightness all the way.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you're going to leave it open (as suggested above), download app Caffeine - it will keep it awake as long as you don't close the lid.

Since you want to close the lid - forget everything I said.;):D

6. Goober0311 thread starter macrumors member

I do have a mouse and I already have caffeine. I never thought about the mouse before so I will give that a try. And as for looking in system preferences I have done that and have found nothing.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Have you tried in System Preferences > Energy Saver> Computer Sleep>Never and/or Display Sleep>Never.

I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if it works if you close the computer. Sorry if it turns out to be bad advice, I'm a techno-boob trying my hand..:eek:

8. Greguar macrumors newbie

It looks like you're after InsomniaX, which is specifically designed to deal with lid sleep.

http://semaja2.net/archives/206#more-206

It appears that it's not fully without risk of kernel panics, as reported by some individuals. I'd suggest reading the comments on that page before jumping in.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will temporarily override Energy Saver settings and keep your Mac awake with the lid open.

To keep it awake even with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs).

However, it sounds like what you're attempting is operating in clamshell mode, with the lid closed and an external display attached. For those instructions, look here:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't help the OP:

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040