Need an app to catalogue stuff in the house

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by thedon1, Nov 18, 2013.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

With the threat of burglaries at this time of year in my area, i've been advised to catalogue our stuff, so I have details like make, model, serial number etc

I thought there's got to be an app for that. I'd prefer it to be iCloud compatible (or have a cloud element).

Any recommendations guys?

Thanks

2. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Database

I use a database called Tap Forms, but there are apps that are designed for this. The nice thing about Tap Forms is that you can keep lots of other databases and it syncs with iCloud.

3. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I would be inclined to go with a spreadsheet app -- something that uses the excel or numbers format. Apps with a proprietary data format come and go, but this is a list you'll be maintaining for a long time.

4. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Bento was a perfect app for this. Unfortunately the developer FileMaker (apple) has decided to cease production on this app.

There is now an app on the Mac called Compartments made by for a small firm called Little Fin. Compartments is perfect for keeping a home inventory and the rumor is that there will be an iOS version coming out. They recently released an iOS version of their bill reminding app called Chronicle and they just updated Compartments for Mavericks.

Another Mac app called Home Inventory is also good or inventorying your home. They have iOS companion apps that help you with entering data, and another app for reviewing the data, but these apps are not stand alone and require the Mac version.

5. downyball macrumors newbie

downyball

Thanks everyone for the info. I was just thinking about a home inventory for the exact same reasons as the OP mentioned.
    :D for a helpful post!

6. enabledapps, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

enabledapps macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread by accident but we actually make an app that may help. It's called Serial+ and stores your software serial numbers and hardware warranties. There is a paid and Lite version in the store if you want to check it out first before buying. It's has Dropbox integration, and all serial numbers are encrypted. This app has CSV export so your data is not "locked in", you can export it out whenever you need to. More features are planned for the future, as we use the app ourselves!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/serial+-warranty-tracker-serial/id603656489?mt=8

[​IMG]

[Sorry just realized this is in the iPad section, this app is iPhone only at the moment, apologies!]

7. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Thanks for the tip about Tap Forms. Its a little pricey when you buy the Mac and iOS versions. However in the end it does the job.

8. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks good, are you guys looking to make an iPad version?

9. enabledapps macrumors newbie

Thanks very much. :) Yes, making Serial+ a universal app is my project for this winter.