Need an Apple 2e emulator for Bards Tale

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by snowmaan, Oct 22, 2011.

1. snowmaan macrumors regular

Trying to regress back to my old school days

Rather than buy an old apple 2e on ebay, for $300 mind you, I want to play the Bards Tale 1 on my iMac or ipad or windows 7 Toshiba laptop

Got it to work on Applewin emulator fine, but it just doesn't save the characters!
    Tried ActiveGS in a browser window which also doesn't seem to work (doesn't want to load the character disc)

Any suggestions as I'm getting desperate and want to relive a bit of my childhood in the comfort of today's technology now

Many thanks

2. RichardOwens macrumors member

LCII had a emulator card ?

3. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Richard
    But that doesn't help me now right, as I want to run a software emulator on one of my mentioned devices, so I can play the game from an image file

4. tyche macrumors 6502

The best 8 bit emulators are Applewin for Windows and Virtual II for OSX (which is shareware but really awesome). A great 16 bit one for OSX is Sweet 16.

I can't recall any issues with bard tale not saving maybe be sure the .dsk isn't write protected (read only set on the file). You could however get around this using the save state feature I think the short cut in Applewin is F11 & f12.

5. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks tyche
    I will try tonight when I get home.

I had an issue with Virtual II for OSX when I tried it on my iMac but I was lazy, or time poor and didn't read through the instructions properly, so may have to revisit that

The save state feature sounds exactly what I need then, so hopefully that works.

6. tyche macrumors 6502

I just tried Bard's Tale I myself and had no problems saving characters. I even created a new player disk via the game menus, created party members played a while and then went back and saved/exit no problem.

7. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks tyche
    Wonder what I am doing wrong then

To save, do you just go back to the Adv Guild and that automatically saves, or is there any special option to select?

I tried "save party" but that says there is already a party saved under that, so I assume that is for saving a party moreso

Am sure it's just something silly I'm doing wrong now

8. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Think I just figured it out:

" NOTE: you can only restore a character by rebooting if you have previously saved your party by exiting the game when in the Adventurer's Guild."

Seems you need to select "exit game" from within the guild.
    I thought going in was enough, will try this later

9. tyche macrumors 6502

'Save party' is a way to create a bookmark of all 6 of your players so you don't have to type all their names again.

Once you have a saved party you type an asterix eg. *savename and it will load all your members automatically in the correct order you had them.