Need an application that will record live video from firewire camcorder

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a program that will record video live from my mini dv camcorder instead of from the tape. Free would be the amount I'm willing to spend on it :p Anyone know of such a program?

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a program that will record video live from my mini dv camcorder instead of from the tape. Free would be the amount I'm willing to spend on it :p Anyone know of such a program?

You are a mac user aren't you.....?

iMovie does exactly what you are asking for....

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Well, didn't think it would be as simple as switching the camcorder to camera :p Simple enough...Cool :cool: Now I can just record straight to the laptop instead of buying mini dv tapes to record my son at home. Thought I was going to go broke buying those suckers :eek:

Well, didn't think it would be as simple as switching the camcorder to camera :p Simple enough...Cool :cool: Now I can just record straight to the laptop instead of buying mini dv tapes to record my son at home. Thought I was going to go broke buying those suckers :eek:
Be sure to choose the right program for the right job.
With iMovie '06 HDTV support was limited, so if you've got a HDTV cam maybe Final Cut Express is better.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't know if that's such a good idea. I mean, a random computer hiccup or if you accidently pull the FW cable loose and *poof* everything you just recorded since the last save is gone. Plus, tapes are a proven, reliable way to store your footage for the long term and if you shop on line you can get them for $4-5 each.

Lethal