Need an Application to make my Mac a media server for PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMacBook, Jul 10, 2008.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I need something that will allow me to stream my music, videos and pictures over my network to my PS3.

I tried EyeConnect, but I keep getting errors with it when trying to play something. So, any suggestions would be awesome.

2. Omnipotentsco macrumors newbie

3. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Is there anything else to do this? I think I tried MediaLink and it never found my PS3. Yes, my PS3 is on media mode or whatever.

4. Sauerball macrumors newbie

I've tried pretty much everything (Twonky, Eyeconnect, Mediatomb) and personally think Medialink is the best option.

You probably need to open the ports in your firewall or your router to let your PS3 see Medialink.

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've been using NullRiver's MediaLink for a little while, but since the PS3 v2.4x firmware update MediaLink has been encountering network errors while streaming MP4s. I've emailed NullRiver about the issue, but haven't heard anything back yet. I've also tried EyeConnect (didn't work at all with PS3 v2.4x firmware) and Twonky (a little clunky under OS X and it is ~$50)

So this weekend I compiled MediaTomb and it has been working very well so far. There are some good instructions on setting it up here: How-to: Stream media to a PS3 from a Mac

One thing I need to add to the instructions above is that you'll need to install the latest version of XQuartz in order to successfully compile MediaTomb on OS X 10.5.x.

Happy streaming...

6. shpxnvz macrumors newbie

I am having the same network errors and also have gotten no response from NullRiver. If anyone has previous experience with the company, it is normal for them to not respond to support requests? Perhaps they are on vacation?