Need an automatic way for 3GS to always be one 3G or wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalduck, Jun 17, 2010.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Ok, so my wife being the genius that she is..never remmebers to turn 3G on or wifi so when shes out shes on wifi and is never avaialbe via my chat because shes offline.... either i have to tell her to always leave 3G on no matter what and turn off wifi when out or whatever or find some app that will switch for her whihc would be great, but its pointless to have iphone if your not using it correctly

any ideas?

Thanks

2. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Use text instead.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just have her leave 3G and WiFi on always?

4. gazzrenn macrumors 6502a

gazzrenn

Got to be honest, I'm stuggling to understand the problem.

5. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is im at work right now and shes not online through chat if i needed to say something to her quickly wihtout claling her...and we cancelled out text plans because she has a 3gs now.. so trying to use it to its fullest... especilaly if shes paying for data plan might as well leave it on... so yeah, guess shell leave both on and just deal wiht battery drain.

6. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

OR USE TEXT!

7. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

^

8. Raikun macrumors regular

sounds like you're the one that isn't a 'genius' :p, I can't understand your problem :(

9. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

He was trying to see if there is an app out there that will switch to WiFi when it can and stay there, while at the same time turning off the 3G. When the wifi is gone he wants the 3G to come back on.

There isn't any point in this. I would understand if it was a 3G iPhone but the 3GS's battery is very capable of dealing with this kind of 'strain'

10. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

There is an app for that. It's called leave wifi on and 3g on when wifi is near it will switch to using that. When no WiFi it switches to 3g.

TEXT cost $20 bucks for family share plan and works on edge and 3g. for $20 bucks u can have the issue covered plus other friends can text ya.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Did you not read his post that you quoted before you typed this response? He doesn't use texting.

To the OP, there is no need to ever turn off the 3g. She can turn on WiFi when she's at home and leave 3g on and the WiFi will override the data, so she won't be using the 3g data. I leave WiFi and 3g on all the time and don't notice any battery drain. When I'm home it will automatically connect to my WiFi. When I leave my house it goes back to 3g. No thinking required. I'm pretty sure this is what basically everyone with an iPhone does.

12. Chip Chanko macrumors member

Chip Chanko

Use "Whatsapp" between the two of you for chatting/texting. It works via wifi or 3G and just uses your cell# for login. I switched to that for texting and Youmail or Ribbitmail for voicemail and you can do everything via wifi at work (except make a call...but at least you know if you miss one).

edit: I work in an area w/ poor reception so if I leave 3G on, it's constantly searching for a signal so I turn it off to save battery at work, thus needed wifi-only solutions.

13. fuzion macrumors 6502

Arrrrr this hurts my brain.

If the iPhone detects a wifi network that it knows, it will join it. If it doesn't see one, it's on 3G.

That's about as automatic as you can get?

14. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I read it, but COMMON sense tells me if my wife forgets alot ( which I have one that forgets ) to turn on wifi or on 3g or off AND I can not get a hold of her and dont want to call her. I WILL TEXT HER.

15. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry

Also if she isn't texting or surfing the net, the battery can easily last all day. Texting was what killed my battery pretty easily.

16. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

True guys but she suggestd to turn off txts and save $10. I didnt see the harm cuz i figured she would always have 3g on...ill just have t oremind her to turn it on andleave it on. She can do whatever she watns wiht wifi and shell just have remember that if its slow its because she has wifi off and to turn it on

17. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

+100000000000000.

We should have an epic fail contest and have the top 10 threads of the year and vote.

I would definitely nominate this one.

Why is she turning WiFi off? there is no reason to do so. You and your wife are hurting my brain.

19. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

:apple:

20. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

LOLOL yeah ill nominate myself... and ill just have her leave both on...what the hell.. problem solved.. we use im+ currently but might switch to beejive.. also, family texting is $30 unlimited.

21. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Why would she ever need to turn WiFi off?

22. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Here was my initla thinking behind this and which was problaby wherei failed in the first place.. a few months ago I strated to notice that im leaving both on when im home and I didnt see the point and thought that i was still loosing battery wiht 3G and wifi on so i got in the habit of turning one off when im athome... if it really doesnt matter ill leave leave both on myself..

23. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I still don't understand what the problem here is.

You need to tell your wife something. So pick up the damn phone and dial her number.

It's like... a 3 step process.

24. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

25. utcarsons macrumors regular

Thanks! Was just going to question the previous poster... Im gonna have to switch to unlimited eventually, but was sure it was $30 rather than $20