need an easy dvd ripper for pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 85md, Sep 27, 2010.

1. 85md macrumors newbie

I have a Mac book Pro 17. Got it 2 years ago. I have 2 kids that love watching movies in the cars. Unfortunately, the youngest has a tendency to be rough with the discs and has scratched a many of them. I am looking for an easy ripper to just rip back up copies so when a dvd gets scratched I can still have an unadultered copy to copy again and play (so I always have a backup). I don't want to keep copies on the laptop as it will take up too much space for my large collection of kids movies. I am confused when reading the forum on rippers as they usually mention copying only to the hard drive. I read mac the ripper has problems with verification codes for registering it. Others I find (ie ripit) don't mention ripping to a dvd. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Paul

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

mactheripper and/or handbrake will do you good.

3. 85md thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the link Spinnerlys. However, it does not mention how to copy the ripped dvd to another dvd. Does handbrake do this? Will it change the format? If it does, how does that affect playback in a dvd player? I don't want to change the format (I think), I just want to put the dvd onto another dvd for backup. I might be interpreting your link wrong, but it is not that apparent to me on the steps after it is copied onto the HDD.
    Thanks,
    Paul

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

handbrake will rip and encode it to a file that you can play on the computer.
    mactheripper rips the dvd and removes the region format allowing you to burn it to another dvd and play it in any dvd player, or encode it using handbrake.

mactheripper might succeed ripping when handbrake fails.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why do people still recommend MacTheRipper like it's actually a real option? Ever since it became GreedWare over 3 years ago, the free 2.6.6 version has been made obsolete by a bunch of other rippers. RipIt or Mac DVDRipper Pro are easily better than MTR 2.6.6 and get the job done most of the time, but nothing beats AnyDVD (of course you need Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels for this.)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you are ripping full length content from pressed DVDs you will end up with a rip that is generally too large to fit on a single sided DVD+/-R and will either need to remaster the DVD to fit or use expensive double layer media.

http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/ is one way to remaster. And you can use Burn to burn the results back to a DVD+/-R. I believe Toast offers both remastering and burning capabilities.

B

7. 85md thread starter macrumors newbie

does rip it work through the encryption issue with pressed dvds or do I need something else?

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

You could use RipIt to copy the DVD, then Toast or maybe the freeware Burn to burn to disc. There is also DVD2One, but I haven't tried it.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

RipIt or any of the other approaches mentioned by the thread linked to by spinnerlys (Step 1) will work to remove CSS.

B

10. 85md thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. Thanks. I will try ripit and toast...
    Paul

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, the mistake was on my side. I added the part about making copies, thanks to balamw's input.