Need an ethernet switch, want to make sure it will work with my setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bounou, Feb 22, 2014.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

So i ran out of ethernet ports and want to order an ethernet switch, thinking about this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-5-Port-...cp_1_EFYR?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GWAFEG5AWSF20G1H6NN

I currently have a modem from ISP and i connect it to my airport extreme that handles the job of creating the WIFI at home. Ran out of ethernet ports on the Airport so i want to know if this will fix my problem.

Never actually used a switch before so want to make sure i wont have any problems.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any unmanaged switch will work fine.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Agreed any unmanaged switch is fine, although I personally wouldn't get that one with a curved top just in case you want to stack things later, such as putting your router on top.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You might consider an 8-port switch instead.
    Room for "future growth".

I found a TrendNet 8-port for around $20 or so.
    Works fine...

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

I've generally used Netgear switches:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS1...=8-10&keywords=netgear+gigabit+switch+16+port

...metal case, built like a tank, won't be dragged around the desk every time you move a cable, feels like a proper bit of kit, and not particularly expensive.

Should just daisy-chain from the Airport. Modern switches are auto-sensing so you don't have to worry about cross-over cables or settings.

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I second the little metal Netgear switches.
    Have used them for years.

Like the previous post don't worry about using a "special" crossover cable between the router and the switch. The devices are smart and will figure this out on their own. Regular ethernet cables will work. I recommend Cat 5E standard or newer (basically anything sold now will be 5e or newer, unless it's on clearance somewhere...).