need an external hd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by atgmac144, Apr 12, 2008.

1. atgmac144 macrumors newbie

a few weeks ago i had to get a hard drive replacement. while that wasn't a big toll on me, i still wish i could have some of the apps and settings back, but i don't :( . anyway, i didn't have a hard drive to use time machine for, so now i am looking to get one. i don't need that much space, so i just need one that isn't too expensive and works fine. suggestions?

2. ricpac macrumors member

I'd go for one of the WD Passports. 80GB should be enough. But if you could check out Costco, you can get the 320GB (if I remember it correctly) for about $120. Good luck!

3. chscag macrumors 65816

External USB 2.0 hard drives are available in many sizes. I would get one that is at least as large as your internal hard drive, preferably one that is a bit larger.

Larger external drives require an AC adaptor to work whereas the smaller ones will function OK on USB 2.0 power directly attached to your Mac.

Check out Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, Costco\Sam's Club (if you're a member) and just about any other place that sells computers.

Regards.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got two Seagate 500GB external hard drives and a Seagate 2.0 120GB external hard drive (nice for trips) and I keep one Seagate 500GB for my Mac Pro and one Seagate 500GB for my BlackBook. I backup BlackBook, Mac Pro and iPhone once a week, just to be safe. :cool:

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I recommend you get a 2.5" drive and a 2.5" caddy. You can then build one up yourself with your own specifications. Very simple and cheap.
    Dont get a large desktop drive as they are power hungry, noisy and not very portable.