Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wibubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I have never used a camcorder. Have never used video editing software.

I have iMovie and I have Adoble CS4 Master Collection which includes their video editing software.

I'd like to find an easy to use camcorder that will work smoothly with my new Mac Book Pro and the software above.

What can you all reccomend? I'd heard that if I was working with a Mac I could only buy a JVC camcorder. True? A Best Buy employee told me that.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
It sounds like you mis-heard the BB employee, because I tell everybody that has a Mac to stay away from JVC, as they their own video codec. I would recommend a Canon, and preferably something with a Hard Drive, as it will make your life in HD much easier. The only thing you are going to run into is that when you go to burn your HD content, if you want the full resolution, you are going to have to shell out some serious cash to get a Blu-Ray burner, other otherwise you will only be burning in SD. Sony also makes awesome camcorders. You really can't go wrong with anything in the imaging department from either Canon or Sony.

wibubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
The blu ray burner is an eventual purchase.

Is it possible to record in SD on an HD camcorder?

The hard drive is already a must on my list!

AS for the BB employee....it's why I seek other opinions! I know you all here are pretty smart, savvy, and experienced Mac users. Being a newbie I need all the help I can get!

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
That Best Buy employee needs to go back on his general knowledge 101 training :)

I would recommend Canon.. the HF100 is an excellent buy.. but again it depends type of movies you will be making.. family videos? amateur movies? shooting indoors/outdoors?

And yes, you can shoot SD footage using a HD camcorder... you just choose the quality setting..

I shoot in HD all the time and then just scale back the footage when exporting if I need to.. mostly I export in iMovie using the "export to quicktime" which allows you to export in 1080 HD... although the file sizes are quite large...

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
The HF100 / HF10 does not have a standard definition mode. I'm not sure why you would want to pay for an HD camcorder and then shoot in SD. However, HDV camcorders like the HV30 or HC9 allow you to switch to SD if that's yer bag.

Andrew.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Check out the Canon HV30...there is a great forum at http://www.hv20.com (hv20 was the previous model). It is a tape based cam, which is great for keeping the original unedited footage intact for storage purposes. I am sure there are many on this forum who shoot with the HV30/20, and you can get it for under $600 right now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.