Need an info mgr app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jameswithfish, Jul 12, 2016.

1. jameswithfish macrumors newbie

Need help finding a tool for managing all my files on a mac.

It needs to work off the existing file system - not some proprietary storage solution (ie. Evernote).

It needs to support rich text notes with full support for images and text formatting.

It allows me to view different file types - and, ideally, edit them from within the app.

I'd prefer it worked on local file system - rather than needing internet connection. I'm less concerned about synching.

Any suggestions?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

So you want an application that acts like the Finder, but also can open and edit any file type? In that it will at least do a subset of those tasks?

And I'm not sure what you mean by "full support" for images and text; Word and Photoshop type features aren't gonna be found in some notes app.

If you're looking for something kinda like Evernote, but better, take a look at Devonthink. It is database driven, but it can index files in their location in the Finder or import them into it's own database (which is rather an open structure, and files are stored so that they can be accessed externally). It can do notes with RTF or markup, open in other applictions, has it's own browser and PDF viewer, can preview most anything, imports mail, etc etc etc.

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

If you don't care to read much, TextEdit does the trick for all of that, syncing is optional with iCloud.

If you need it to work with .doc files and a bunch of other stuff, well then you'll be sad because writing a program to handle different file types, both open and proprietary is a pain in the neck. The best solution I can provide you outside of TextEdit is the iWork suite. It provides support for Apple file formats, and limited support for Microsoft file formats. Since proprietary is on your list of no-nos, your best option is left with Open Office.

If you need something to open up code files, then I'd suggest TextWrangler or VS Code as both are free.

What you are asking for is an Operating System + User direction, you will not find an app that does all of that without forking over some cash.

4. jameswithfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, DEVONthink is very close but I want full integration with the file system.
    eg.
    When I create a file in Finder, it appears in the App.
    When I create a file in App, it appears in Finder.
    etc.

ie. more of a Finder replacement.

--

I'd like the note taking aspect to allow images to be moved around the page - much like pen and paper. This is the one I'm willing to settle for less.

--

I'd like it not to need internet access.

--

tks
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2016 ---
    TextEdit and TextWrangler are too basic. Open Office is not built for managing all files.
    Thinking more about a notebook/file manager hybrid.

Manage your files within a hierachy.

Preview different types of file.

Create rich text notes.

And drive it all off hard drives - so it's easy to drop in new files by just saving to that directory from any application.

Sort of like Evernote, but with the files sitting on hard drive.

5. jameswithfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Just stumbled on 'Together'.

It's close to what I'm looking for.

When you import folders and files into Together, it creates a copy of them under Documents/Together/Folders.

Acceptable!

When you add/delete/move files in Together, the change occurs immediately under Documents/Together/Folders.

Yes!

When you add a file to Documents/Together/Folders, the file appears in Together.

Yes!

When you delete a file in Documents/Together/Folders, the file is shown as "Not found" in Together.

So-so!

When you move a file in Documents/Together/Folders, the file appears in the new location and is shown as "Not found" in old location in Together.

So-so!

Means going through and cleaning up the "Files not found" now and then but that's doable.

----

The second requirement is preview for most file types.

Check!
    It previews images, html, word docs, excel, rtf, sounds, movies, etc.

---

Third requirement is ability to create and edit rich text documents - with the ability to move elements around - much like pen and paper.

Not great but acceptable - this is the compromise zone!

I can paste images in but not edit them.
    I can change fonts and hilight (in yellow only). Helps to add Fonts and Hilite to the toolbar.

---

There are other useful features there like Tagging, Encrypting and a permanent dock for adding files to Together.

I'm going to pursue it further. It's the closest thing to date.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Sounds like you need something a bit more lightweight than what I recommended in Devonthink.

I'd say look at Yojimbo, but that might be a bit of overkill for you too.

There isn't any way in Finder to create files, BTW, except by copying. So I wouldn't spend any time looking for that. And pretty much every application in Mac OS can save to the Finder if it's an application that creates files.

Also, you want RTF to do something RTF doesn't do. What you seem to want is a word processor, which would allow resizing of images, flowing text, etc. RTF is a format that is limited cuz it's designed that way. I recommended Devonthink because you can create say Pages documents right within it, and Pages allows image resizing, flowing text, etc etc. Or OpenOffice or Word if you use those; you can create those in Devonthink as well.

Or take a look at Raskin for a Finder replacement. It's probably too radical, but it does some of what you're seeking.

7. jameswithfish thread starter macrumors newbie

I really like Raskin! Thanks for the tip.

And DEVONthink is great except I'm waiting for them to improve synching of indexed files.

Have just moved to Mac - so good to find Pages.

I've given up the hunt for a suitable offline info mgr. Instead my tool of choice will be Pathfinder just opening Pages. And maybe a little Raskin for browsing images.