Need an international power adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoctaKrafty, May 4, 2012.

1. DoctaKrafty macrumors newbie

As the topic says Im going overseas and need a power adaptor for my MacBook Pro to be able to plug her in.

Do any of you have any preferences or advice regarding these sorts of adaptors? I've never travelled so have little experience in these sorts of items. I want something that's not going to fail easily so any reputable brands or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Depends on where you're traveling, but just go to the apple store (physical or online) and they'll have the supported countries listed on each adapter.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

Ive travelled a lot and I always bring my Macbook. I would recommend something very simple. Like this:

http://www.uxcell.com/travel-adaptor-universal-socket-standard-p-7427.html

You can buy it for a dollar or two. And since it is one solid piece of plastic with pieces of metal sticking out it will last a very long time.

4. DoctaKrafty thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys. Im heading to Vietnam. Seems the apple one doesnt support their sockets or if it does it's not listed.

Amazon have some by the looks. :)

5. Laco macrumors 6502

It seems like Vietnam uses three types of sockets. America, European and sometimes British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

6. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Damn that's a pretty genius product. Why didn't I think of that?

7. Laco macrumors 6502

Haha.

I really like simple adapters like that. I think they last longer.

8. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

When you have no moving parts, they always tend to last longer. I'm a fan! :D

9. jayasree91 macrumors newbie

I got 16.5V 3.65A 60W Replacement AC Power Adapter for my Apple Macbook. It is really reliable especially when i was on my abroad travel. I got it for $24 from ChinaBuye. Has different wires for option to meet local standard and has magnetic tip, low ripple and over current protection as well. You can check with their site for other Mac supporting adapters as well. Hope it will be helpful to you!

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You do not need a separate power adapter for your MacBook Pro in Vietnam. The factory one works fine and I am speaking from personal experience.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Unlike the days of old when you had to carry transformers and adaptors for your power cords...these days any power supply worth plugging in can easily handle 110-240VAC at 50 or 60 cycles. You can verify that by reading the printing on the power supply.

So all you should need is an adapter that with a male side that matches the receptacles at the destination and with a female side that matches your home country. When I travel I use adapter for a plan power strip and then plug in all my supplies (rMBP, iPhone, camera battery charger,...etc) on that one strip.

12. leecbaker macrumors newbie

I've been through a dozen countries in Asia over the past year, and just use a locally sourced figure-8 cable. Most of the time I use a europlug to figure 8 cable, which can be found in almost any town for under a dollar.

The reason I use a figure 8 cable instead of an adapter is that I need only one cable for my camera chargers, and the cables are often cheaper and less clumsy than an adapter. Anywhere that sells adapters also will sell a cable.