Need an opinion on SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vjicecool, Apr 29, 2011.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

What do you guys think about

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

VS

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Which one is best to Buy, Since i have limited Budget?
    I have 2009 Mid Macbook Pro, 2.53 ghz, with 4gb RAM

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The OCZ is first gen Vertex and to be honest, it sucks. The Crucial is brand new so definitely get it if it has to be between these two.

3. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The crucial you're looking at uses SATA III, and although it is backward compatible with the SATA II laptop you own, you would be paying extra for a hard drive that is faster than what your laptop can support.

I'd look elsewhere and save money.

5. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

He's comparing a 30Gb OCZ vs 64Gb Crucial. Between those two the decision is easy.

Polbit

6. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

Crucial M4 is the one I got.

Also on SATA II it's very fast.

8. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

If you are looking at small size SSDs then it's not something that you would move to a new computer once you buy it. Based on that, SATA III is a waste of money, assuming it costs more than a comparable SATA II drive. But what I found looking at 128Gb SSDs for example is that I can get a Crucial C300 SATA III for $200, which is same price as OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II, and cheaper than any other 128Gb SSD. Not sure about 60Gb drives, but I suspect the situation is similar.

The question is, can you live with a 30-60Gb drive? I would look into hybrid drives like Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB for $100. Not ideal, but definitely faster than stock HD, especially if you don't change your usage habits, and plenty of space.

Polbit

9. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

Snaky69 say's...SATA 111 is not compatible with macbook pro of my model.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SATA 6Gb/s is backwards compatible with SATA 1.5Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s but you cannot take full advantage of it, since your interface is limited to 3Gb/s.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, it IS compatible, it's just wasted speed as the SSD will not be running at it's maximum capacity. If it happens to be cheaper than a SATA II drive, then go right ahead, if not, I'd go to a SATA II just to save some money.

Think of it as buying a honda civic and sticking a ferrari engine in it, it'll never be able to use it to it's full potential because it just wasn't meant to do it.

12. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Ok man, I have read your posts, and respect your knowledge... but I have to politely disagree on one point, the OCZ first gen doesn't "suck". It's a pretty phenominal drive when compared with it's peer group. If you are running a 300 MB bus, then this drive screams. Over time it maintains its performance with very little degradation (subject to use characteristics).

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are comparing it to Crucial m4, then it pretty much sucks:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/129?vs=356

It is two generations old now, a lot has happened in the SSD world since it was launched. Unless it is ridiculously cheap, I would get something else.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

15. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I also think that the original Vertex drives were very good for their time.

Comparing them to the brand new M4 is like comparing a Vietnam era F-4 Phantom to an F-22, generationally speaking. F-4 in its day, great. Today? Not so much.

16. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally got this, What you guys think

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

Performance wise it's very good.

Reliability is below par. There are 1200 customer reviews of the Vertex 2 on Newegg. 200 of them experienced failure.

18. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me see what happens after i install it
    if it doesn't work, i will return it
    Thanks for all your opinion guys,i really apprecite it

19. Philflow, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

Philflow macrumors 65816

Going by the hundreds of reviews of Sandforce 1200 controllers all brands have problems, including Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin. I don't think OWC will be an exception.

I recommend looking at other drives. Samsung 470 and Kingston v+ 100 are good without TRIM. Intel and Crucial are good when you have TRIM. You can enable TRIM in OS X by applying some tweaks.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

21. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

22. johnnj macrumors 6502a

B&H, too. That's why I bought my pair of C300s there. They have an excellent return policy on most items with no restocking fee and almost no questions asked. I returned a camera lens there a few years ago because I changed my mind about the finish. I told the guy that and he said no problem (and they didn't have the other color in stock so I got a refund).

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I absolutely love that tool. It's great for CPUs and GPUs as well. Makes comparing two products so easy.

That is why I said if it has to be between those two drives in my first post ;) Vertex was a good drive back in its days but technology develops quite fast.