Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Okay, I've currently been going back and fourth* between Camino and Safari, but neither of those browsers currently meet my needs. Basically what I need is a browser that can render most pages reletivly well, as well as Safari or Camino, but that can both do rich text editing on supported sites and inline check as you type spell checking and it also needs to look like a good OS X application. Safari can handle the inline text editing, but for the exception of a very few sites(such as this forum) it can't do the rich text editing. Camino on the other hand can handle the rich text fields just fine, but it can't do the inline spell checking, though it is in some of the nightly builds, it isn't as good and Apple's built in checking. Camino also has other problems such occasional problems with plugins, and while it is often called a Cocoa based browser, that is only half true, it's actually a*kludged together hybrid of Cocoa, Carbon, and Gecko, which if why web page widgets(especially text boxes) don't seem quite right. Firefox has all the short comings of Camino, plus it's slower and even less Mac like. Opera is faster that Firefox and can do more rich text editing than Safari and can do spell checking, but not check as you type(I never take the time to actually run a spell check manually), and as far as its Mac-ness, it does have a better theme than Firefox, but it's still not a quite native and it shows, and that is even more*irritating to me since it looks close, but there are just little things I notice. I've also tried OmniWeb, but it basically seems to be Safari in a different dress as far as rendering web pages is concerned. Are there any other web browsers out there, specifically one that matches my criteria?

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Well, webkit is supposedly making strides towards changing text boxes and buttons and stuff to make them more accepting "customizations" by web pages, and should be in the version of Safari that ships with 10.5 so hopefully that'll help with the rich text editing and pretty much make it the perfect browser for me since I like just about everything else about it. The only problem is that many sites block the edit from Safari, so that'll have to change before this can really help.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I use Camino, Firefox, and Safari (but mainly Firefox), so my experience with other browsers is very small.

Try these:

Opera
OmniWeb
MyIE2/Maxthon
Shiira

I don't know if these browsers have what you need, but good luck.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
joecool85 said:
Shiira is my browser of choice. It's all I use really.

i just got shiira. it was a pain b/c there was no 'import bookmarks' like camino has... but i really like it so far. plus the little icon for the dock is much cooler than any other browser ive had so far. its smooth, and seems pretty quick.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I am using OmniWib now. It works so damn well... I never thought a web browser could be made such pretty.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Firefox branch and trunk now support spellcheck. Branch is now past Beta1, but trunk is still alpha.

Just make a version from source, update CVS to eithr trunk or branch and include ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,spellcheck in your mozconfig.

The trunk is currently having Cocoa implemented and will make use of Quartz using Cairo. Camino is 100% Cocoa and uses no Carbon, that's what the Camino project is all about.

EDIT: Or use an already built version wala linked to.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Erm.. just wondering, is there anything with a password manager as good as Firefox's with the look of Camino?

Not that I don't like Firefox, it just doesn't quite blend in with the other apps and besides that it is an insane memory hog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.