Need an upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lisemp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. lisemp macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Laptop - with the 3GB memory and 200GB HD, and I have all these other mac computers still sitting around. So I thought I'd dust them off and give them to my kids.

Problem is, I have this old laptop, a G3 Pismo Powerbook. It's wireless, but still runs on OS 9.2. I need to know which is the best OS to upgrade to without overwhelming it - I was thinking Jaguar - because it would work with one of our 1 yr old printer that I put in my other daughters bedroom.

I also have an old 4300 - I think it still works too - but it's older than sin - and I think I should just bury it. I was wondering though - can I harvest or sell anything of value on it? Can the ram be put in the pismo?

Any ideas would be helpful. My other two girls are set up with newer computers and this last daughter is getting a bit of the short end of the stick, so I'm trying to make it work out.

2. Kodex macrumors member

I ould recommend 10.2.8 for the pismo I have seen them push both tiger and panther though but you arent gaining much for the speed you loose.

The 4300 will not be able to save much for an upgrade the only thing that will move over is the hard drive and I doubt that you really want to do that. Personally I would keep it, never hurts to have a word processor sitting around

3. lisemp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks -

I'm looking at all the 'full install' jaguars on ebay, I can upgrade to 10.2.8 once I get that OS correct? I'm running on that assumption.

I still feel the computer is desperately slow - I feel like I should just trash all the old applications and just start over - but I'm not certain how to do that the best way.

Should I basically reinitialize the pismo, install new OS and then manually ad on all my programs?

4. Kodex macrumors member

Yes anything 10.2.x will upgrade to the last version of 10.2.8

I would run disk utility of better yet disk warrior if you have it to insure the HD is in good shape. If you are gifting the computer I would recommend doing a clean wipe and install for your daughter

5. lisemp thread starter macrumors newbie

question

I haven't heard of disk warrior - is it available for download or purchase?

Should I reinitialize my computer when I have the new OS in my hand, and then do the os x fresh install?

I've never really rehab'd a computer, I normally just move on, put the old computer in the case and put it in a closet (which is why I still have my working Mac Plus from the 80's - that sucker cost 2,500 - I can't throw it away can I?)

6. Kodex macrumors member

7. lisemp thread starter macrumors newbie

looks like tech tools deluxe

That Disk warrior looks like the tech tools deluxe - Would that work on the old os? for some reason the 'system requirements' page isn't loading for me.

8. Kodex macrumors member

I have had much better luck with disk warrior then tech tool but your results may vary.

I do not know the specific requirements but I have used version 4 on g3 machines and everything OS X

9. lisemp thread starter macrumors newbie

forget that

I reloaded - got the system requirements - I'm good.

DO I need to do that before? Cuz I think I can use my tech tools if I wait.

10. Kodex macrumors member

Yea its going to work fine with disk utility I just believe in being as in depth as possible, run whatever you can on it. =)

11. lisemp thread starter macrumors newbie

gracias

I'll let you go - you've been amazingly helpful!