Need and external monitor...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCaveMann, May 28, 2007.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

A friend of mine needs an external monitor for her macbook. She wants something in the 17-20 inch wide screen range but the 20 inch ACD is a bit out of her price range. I was going to recommend a Dell to her but I wanted everyones opinion first. Does Dell make a nice 17 inch, with comparable quality to the ACD's? :confused:

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I myself have not seen many 17" wide screen monitors. I would suggest looking at around 19" or 20" Dells and Samsungs. They both make good monitors for basic tasks.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How about this one http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688. Monitors just have so many specs, and I'm clueless when it comes to choosing one. She is not a gamer or anything like that. She just wants more screen real estate and for the picture to be nice. What do you guys think? :confused:

4. showtime macrumors 6502

just got this one at best buy for $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009102

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet since I don't have the mini-dvi to dvi adapter yet but heard some good things about this monitor.

I would say a 22" would be a better buy than a 17". Sometimes they can go on sale for a little over $200 or around $200 after rebate.

5. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Gamers need quick refresh rates.
    Graphics artists need *extremely* good and certified color and contrast.

The rest of us just need a display that is of quality build, is bright, and that the colors aren't so far off you think you might be tripping on acid every time you start your computer. The Dells are great for the average user. I say this from the perspective of a guy with a deep hatred for most of Dell's products, especially their laptops. But their monitors are okay by me, and for average use, one of the best deals around.

~Earendil

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

There isn't a gread deal of choice for 17" widescreen monitors but there are lots of 19" at very reasonable prices. :)

FJ

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Frys has a great 22" monitor for $200, I bought one and it's fantastic, I highly recommend it.

Edit:
    I just checked and they were sold out :(. That's too bad, it was a great price. You could check here anyway in case they get some more in stock.

8. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Brand?
    My brother bought a cheap no name brand a year ago, and while it was a 19" wide for $170, it has horrible color, uneven brightness, and everything looks washed out.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The brand is ViewSonic, it's a very good brand and the monitor gets great reviews at Newegg. It's the ViewSonic VX2235wm, the normal price of it is $350. I like the monitor a lot and I use it for graphic design.

10. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

I recently purchased a Samsung 19" widescreen display to use as a second display with my 24" iMac. It's great and the price is right. A plus, at least in my book, is that one can just go into a Best Buy (or similar outlet) and take it home immediately.

Have fun ... Tony.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I looked around a bit more and found this Viewsonic 20" monitor for $180, it just one step below the Viewsonic that I have.