Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Ok, heres my ordeal. I bought an iphone (first gen) about 10 months ago. I went in to go buy a new 8gb 3G, and he said because I have an iphone I am eligable for the sale price!! Is that right? I thought even if I had an iPhone and it was before my contract I had to pay normal price? If he is right, I'm going to get the 16gb version...and still save $100 from what I planned! Thanks guys!:cool:

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Yes, you're upgrade eligible and it's been extensively covered before. Besides, if the guy in the store is telling you it's true, take him up on it even if he's wrong.

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
So you get special treatment if you have a 1st gen iPhone? I'm 13 months into my existing contract and had to pay $399 for an 8gb =|

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Well I left the store...then I thought about it: "I could get a 16gb...". Then again if hes wrong I wont go back, he may find his mistake!!!

Anyways, if I am eligible then sweet! Thanks for the quick response!!!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
So you get special treatment if you have a 1st gen iPhone? I'm 13 months into my existing contract and had to pay $399 for an 8gb =|

There's no special treatment, they bought an unsubsidized phone why should they have to buy out their contract like those, like you, who bought subsidized phones.

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
There's no special treatment, they bought an unsubsidized phone why should they have to buy out their contract like those, like you, who bought subsidized phones.

Ah that makes sense - I didn't know the 1st phone wasn't subsidized.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

Actually, the special treatment was that the iPhone cancelled the contract. If you're not upgrade eligible and you buy an unsubsidized phone, you should still not be upgrade eligible.

But the iPhone changed that and it cancelled the contract, skipped the ETF, then started a new one, therefore, making everyone eligible.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Hey, if I were to sell the 16gb (3G) phone I just got today for alot more than $300...could I go back to At&t and buy another iPhone (3G)?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Actually, the special treatment was that the iPhone cancelled the contract. If you're not upgrade eligible and you buy an unsubsidized phone, you should still not be upgrade eligible.

But the iPhone changed that and it cancelled the contract, skipped the ETF, then started a new one, therefore, making everyone eligible.

Well then the iPhone was getting unspecial treatment. who's ever heard of a user who had to get a contract for an unsubsidized phone?

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I know, but could I buy another phone or am I limited to only 1....cause people can make alot of money reselling these things!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I know, but could I buy another phone or am I limited to only 1....cause people can make alot of money reselling these things!

you can only get one. And it's people like you who were looking to make a quick buck off of these phones that got us in the mess where we have to activate the phone in the store. thanks a lot.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Well then the iPhone was getting unspecial treatment. who's ever heard of a user who had to get a contract for an unsubsidized phone?

True.

But isn't it a price that's worth it since you're eligible for upgrade anyway? Unless you're happy with the first generation.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Lol, tuff. Thanks for the reply, but I was just asking. The way I worded the question obviously confused you, and caused you to draw the wrong conclusion....Im sorry. I'm definitely gonna keep my iphone, I am not looking to make a quick buck...lets not go there.

One of the main reasons I ask is because I develop for the Iphone (programmer) and having another phone would be great. I wouldn't have to worry about bricking the phone...So thanks for your reply!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.