NEED ANSWER SOON-iWork '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BJB Productions, Sep 20, 2009.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey guys.
    I just lost a few school papers due to the fact that I was dumb and did not save my work in Pages '09. I know there is no auto save feature, (which is extremely stupid not to have) but is ther ANY way of getting the data back????
    :mad: :(

I mean seriously, even text edit has auto save!!!

Thanks

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Only guess I have, is click on recent documents in the program. Sometimes programs save a shadow if you will.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah, tried that, no good.

4. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

oh no thats terrible.. This happened to me once. It was an important file for school. I haven't used the program since. None of them. i bought office 08' through my university.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I mean, c'mon Apple; auto save has been around for over 15 years, it is in textedit, and every other word processing program I can think of, and it does not exist in Pages. It makes no sense what. so. ever.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

sorry to hear that. This is one reason why one should avoid using Pages for anything serious, or do it at their own risk.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah, luckily, this is not a huge paper, I can re-write it in a few hours, but now I know. Too bad I paid 90 bucks for it. :mad:

8. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Now, now don't blame it on Pages, it's still a lot better than Word (geez what a train-wreck of a word processor!). I've had this scenario happen more than once, you just remember to save your work and back up regularly.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

This bit me once too. I was VERY VERY pissed off. It's completely unforgivable that iWork doesn't have auto-save in 2009. I even emailed steve jobs about it.

I suggest you do the same. As another poster says:

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Glad to hear I'm not the only one...

but as far as his email goes...are you kidding me? I kinda doubt that is his email..Seems like he would get way too many emails.

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Why not just get into the habit of saving manually? I don't even trust autosave, so I do everything manually even in OpenOffice which has autosave.

12. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I am usually very good when it comes to saving, but every once in awhile, I forget..like today.

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

He doesn't read them - his minions do, and sometimes (I think) he dips into the pool to get a sense of what people are saying. Technical stuff gets passed onto other people, but non-technical stuff sometimes (very rarely) gets a reply from the man himself. It does happen.

If enough people complain about something, Apple *sometimes* fixes it. I (and many others) complained about Firewire being removed from a new model of the MBP. I didn't get a reply, but it was put back on the next model.

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

Yeah. Well all I can say is that Command - S is your best friend. ;)

Besides...how the heck did Pages allow you to quit without saving your work? You didn't say if it was a power outage or something that wouldn't allow you time to save...

15. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I was all my bad. I opened up another document, then after I was done looking at it, quit Pages. Not thinking, when it asked me if I wanted to save my other drafts, I said no. :rolleyes:

It's worth a try I guess.

16. mac2x macrumors 65816

Ooops.

Well autosave would be nice for those "I'm an idiot" moments. :rolleyes: Emailing Apple about it is a good place to start.

And BTW I think we have pretty much the same computer. ;)

17. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

There is one possibility, though a long-shot. Get a data recovery program to search the hard-drive. It may find it.

18. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

19. G.T. macrumors 6502a

OP while auto save would be nice, doesn't pages ask to save when quit? Did u just click don't save by accident?

20. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That is utterly fantastic! Free, and easy to set up. I've set it to auto-save every 10 minutes in Pages, Numbers and Keynote, and leave everything else alone. Took 2 minutes to set up.

Thanks LtlDrummerboy

x RT

21. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Here are two long shots:

1) Check the Pages folders in your Application Support folders.

/Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Pages/

/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/

Could be some remnant of the file is there.

2) Also check the Trash to see if there's a "Recovered File" that appears to be from Pages.

mt

22. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yes, I accidently forgot to press save.

23. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Awesome! Thanks!