Need Answers from Onyx Users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keukasmallie, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

In the Maintenance section of Onyx, when running the Systems tab cleaning, I receive a question: Where is suffice?

What does that mean, why don't I "have it?"

Also, on running several of the tabs in the Maintenance section, I get a popup saying to restart the computer. I do restart when I'm finished with Onyx; do I need to restart each time I get the popup, then relaunch Onyx to proceed?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you are either misspelling a word - or if not english, it is not translated properly.
    The support site for OnyX might be a good place to get the proper translation for that message.
    Or, the next time you see that message, copy it out exactly for a future search.

Some operations that clear system caches will tell you that you need to restart. You may be able to ignore that, and simply close that window, or cancel the restart. I would suggest that you are doing maintenance that really needs to restart, and I recommend that you don't choose to ignore that restart message. If you are doing something else, and don't want to restart, or it's inconvenient to wait a couple of minutes for a restart, then don't begin that system maintenance task :D

3. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

You're correct, the word is soffice. When I typed it originally it was spelled correctly, when I hit space to type the next word, it was changed to the more familiar suffice w/o my noticing it. Same thing just happened here as I was typing the above.

I've Googled it, but see no great references to Mac.

I do understand your comments about the restart commend on OnyX. It just seems a bit awkward to restart, then open OnyX and find where one left off before the restart, then begin at that point only to face a restart command at the end of the next sequence, etc.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See this. Looks like it is related to Open Office or Libre Office. Do you have either of those?

On those restart messages, I have always just ignored them and done a restart when I am done with Onyx and never had a problem.

5. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Yes, I do have LibreOffice on my MBP and it may have been open when I ran OnyX. Next time out w/ OnyX, I'll scroll to LibreOffice in the list and click on it. The link was very helpful.

I think I'll stick to just restarting at the end of the OnyX sequences rather than do it several times during the run.

Thanks!!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Also, on running several of the tabs in the Maintenance section, I get a popup saying to restart the computer. I do restart when I'm finished with Onyx; do I need to restart each time I get the popup, then relaunch Onyx to proceed? ]]

You don't need to restart after each particular section.

Just cancel the restart for the moment, and go on to the next section.

When ALL your operations in Onyx are finished, THEN it's time to restart.

Actually, I think the author of Onyx "overdid it", with the presentation of the restart dialog so frequently -- better to present it when the user quits Onyx...