Need answers, to buy a MBP 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x2unleashed, Jul 6, 2010.

1. x2unleashed macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

Okay so this question has been asked millions of times but I need to know for myself so I ask. What is the best choice when buying the MBP, either 13" or 15" 2.4GHZ?. I'm already in my 4 quarter of college and the work load is beginning to increase. I'm currently running a 15.4" hp pavilion dv5 with a amd processor that drains the battery life in 1hr and half. I'm majoring in criminal justice and also in business so I know there aren't any crazy applications to run.

This will be my first apple product besides the ipod touch but before I make my purchase I would like to know exactly what should I get. Being that my first laptop was a 17" Toshiba then downgraded to 15" hp which I noticed a difference but adjusted quickly. And if I aim for a 13" will there be any problems when viewing things, lets say a movie or a document.

I know that there is a difference in between the 13" and 15" processors. For college all I need is the iwork or ms office so i don't need a crazy processor but then again I do rip movies and convert for the ipod. In addition I'm planning to run disc based games, like lets say gta iv.
    I do use photo shop occasionally so I don't know if the processors will boost the ability to run the app. faster

There is more to ask... but I just dont want to end up buying a MBP that doesnt meet my standards. Like I dont want to end up with the 13" and be outdated when other prosessors are dominate. or get the 15" and not use the power that it packs.I also read somwhere that around Nov or Dec there might be a update to the MBP. might be rumors. oh and two last things. will i be needing a virus scan and should i consider getting apple care?

thank you.

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

sounds like the processor is irrelevant in your case, but the screen size is the most important factor.

You just need to try out a 13" notebook and see if it will work for you. Personally I love the 13" size, but I also have an old desktop pc with a new 24" monitor. My point is that the 13" is great to use when away from home or for casual use while at home, but when I have a paper to write or I am using photoshop or etc..., I want a larger display.

As far as how long the computer will be viable, I would not worry about it. In a couple or few years, both the Core iX and Core2Duo will be long outdated and yesterday's news.

Then you do not need antivirus with OSX.

3. Tali macrumors member

From what you said, a 13" will be ok for you. I use a 15" 2.4 i5 because I do quite a lot of video editing (only previewing, light editing on the MBP) so I decided to go with the better GPU and the i5. The 13" C2D will serve you quite well and you will have superb battery life (mine gets 7-8 hours when I am real careful, the 13" should get a bit more).

You don't need an antivirus software for yourself, I tend to use one due to the fact that I get quite a lot of files on USB drives etc (mostly from windows users) that I pass on and I want to make sure that customers and friends don't get any viruses from me (that of course can't affect myself on the mac). As long as you are running around on campus exchanging files, it's worth a thought, but you yourself won't need one.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

While the specifications of 13" seems fine, what about the display size itself? The thread starter seemed very concerned about this as far as I read. I doubt everyone buys the 15" for the higher specifications.

5. Scorecard macrumors member

According to your opening statement it looks like you want battery life as a primary. The 13 and 15 are both great at battery life, you will be much more pleased with either one.

You just have to play with the 13 and see if you can handle the smaller screen and lower resolution. My girlfriend and sister both use the 13 and love it, I use it sometimes but I love my 15 so much more.

As for gaming it doesn't seem like you do too much so the 320m is sufficient and with the screen res you will be able to play games with good-great detail. The 330m is more appropriate for the 15 inch and playing games at acceptable frame rates at the higher res.

Check out the 13 and 15 and see which one. Both will give you amazing performance and productivity boost over your HP.

6. x2unleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

Well I went to best buy and took a quick glimpse and the 15" and looks more appealing. But I guess your right I'll head to my apple store that has chairs to sit and try out the laptops. Yes I agree that screen size is what I'm really concerned about. I don't own a desktop because I have limited space plus I like moving around in the house. So it will be inconvenient to have one. But If I do end up with the 13" my only best option is to buy the hdmi connectors for the t.v

thank you for the input.

7. Dyango macrumors member

Let's try to guide you. As for the processor goes, you could use a bit more power but I don't see it like a deal breaker.

It would be nice for you if you could check both models directly to choose what screen size suits you better. 13" is really nice laptop to lug around, its portability is fantastic and, even if in a matter of weight the 15" is not dramatically heavier, the difference in "volume" -that's not exactly the word I was searching- is something to take in consideration. If you have an external display or a desktop you could go for the 13" without issues.

Anyway, for word/pages and your kind of studies, the small one won't be an issue, could be slightly annoying with photoshop depending on what you are doing though but as it's not your main activity...

As for your use I don't think you'll find that the 13 is "outdated" soon, but obviously, the 15 is going to be "more" future proofed.

Finally, I'd recommend apple care for any laptop, as they can be way more exposed than a desktop that sits at home in the calm. You don't want to have to pay for repairs I'm sure. Any way you have a year from the day of purchase to buy apple care.

And no, you wont have to worry about viruses.

EDIT: some of what I said above is answered on your previous comment which I didn't see but I'm too lazy to erase =p

8. Tali macrumors member

I forgot about that. Wanted to say that with the money he saves by buying the smaller one, I would think about buying a decent Dell monitor to put in the dorm. This way he is still portable and has very good battery life, but he can also enjoy games and the occasional movie without using a magnifying glass.

I for one don't like to work on a laptop screen / keyboard at home so I hook it up to a monitor and plug in an external keyboard when I get home. But that's just personal taste.

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If this is how you feel already, buy the 15". Using a TV as a desktop monitor is compromise and not always a good solution either.

I will just state this one more time. If this will be your only computer and you do not have any intention of having a desktop monitor or do not have a desk, do not get the 13". Its incredibly portable; it easily fits on desks in classrooms; it is fast enough for nearly anything students do in college; but the screen is too small.
    I finished writing a couple 15 page papers in summer school, and I cannot imagine being tied to my 13" macbook for hours on end writing. On the other hand, I do not mind coding on it, but then my limit is still 4 hours or so. (On my 24" I can pull all-nighters)

10. bigjobby macrumors 65816

When you get to visit the Apple store, get someone to show you 'Spaces' in OSX especially if you're having a look into the 13". This should give you the extra 'virtual' real estate... tis very handy!

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT buy the current Office for Mac 2008 as the 2011 version is due out pretty soon and is also packaged with Outlook.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If he needs it for school though he'll be in a bit of a pickle. Office 2011 for Mac is not slated for release until Q4 2010.

12. x2unleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

okay cool I will look into that. As for Office, I heard and read so many complaints about the software that I really wont bother asking about it. I havent tried iwork but I truly do like how iwork looks. It seems simple and I find it to have more useful settings.

13. bhattsan macrumors member

The core 2 duo in 13 inch is not slow by any means. But, if you are planning on running high end games like gta iv you might want to get the 15 inch for the beefier GPU. Otherwise for your needs (other than gaming) get the 13.

14. x2unleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

I dont want to be picky but I will still give it a shot for the 13". As for desktop, Im pretty sure I wont be getting one now, maybe in the future. I do rely on my 15" hp 95% of the time when writing papers/researching so it can be said I spend hours on it. I do see many students on campus with a 13" on the desk but never a 15" so thats somthing I want to look into on how much space it takes. At the end, whatever I end up with, Im sure it will be able to simplfy my life and finally say goodbye to pc.

thank you very much.

15. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Office 2011 is planned for release during this summer (in time to capture the new academic year market).

Also, look into Open Office. Its free and available for both Windows and OSX so you can give that a go before shelling out any money. If and when you get a job, get your work to pay for the Office 2011. ;) IMO, MS Office is alot more useful in the professional world than iWork but I'll leave that discussion for another thread.

Best of luck in your buying decisions and academics.