Need anti-virus, spyware/ malware for MAC help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrtibbs46, May 2, 2011.

1. mrtibbs46 macrumors newbie

Can someone recommend an antivirus or anti spyware/ malware for MAC that I can clean my system up with :eek:

I’m sure this is an old topic for most of you, so hopefully I can get some solid leads fast. I don’t think the problem is too too serious, but I rather not have someone entering my inbox at will with annoying emails!!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There really aren't viruses that run on Macs, so antivirus software won't do you any good.

3. mrtibbs46, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

mrtibbs46 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what will help with the problem? OH, the inbox is a yahoo email inbox.

4. simsaladimbamba

It's a SPAM problem, thus you need to filter your SPAM better.
    How to Help the Mac OS X Mail Junk Filter Identify Spam

PS:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use Yahoo mail, and I have the spam filter on, and while I do see stuff in the spam folder, I almost never see anything in my inbox that is spam. Yahoo does a very good job of finding spam, in fact I more often find mail that I want in the spam box than spam in the inbox.

There are zero viruses for osx. Malware gets into the system only if you install it and give it the admin password to install.

6. mrtibbs46 thread starter macrumors newbie

I’ve been in the computer field for quite some time now… I never give my password out not even inadvertently either. Plus, I’ve been changing my password once or twice a month. The spam is coming from someone who is using email addresses to people that are in my contacts list.

7. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Perhaps you and someone on the PC side share a list of common contacts. My aunt and my mom share many of the same contacts in their e-mail accounts. When my aunt's Windows computer was infected with a virus it started sending out spam e-mails from her account to people in her contacts lists. Other Windows users from that list too were infected and soon my mom was getting a lot of spam e-mail from people that just happened to be in her contact list as well. The whole thing had nothing to do with my mom's e-mail account or her computer; she was just the recipient of the spam.