Need app like 7-zip or File Roller.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stchman, Jul 16, 2012.

1. stchman macrumors 6502a

Hello all. Coming from Ubuntu I am used to a full featured archive manager.

Are there any free archive manager apps like the ones in Windows and Ubuntu for Lion?

Thanks.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

3. stchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Keka

"keka is a Mac OS X frontend GUI of p7zip, the UNIX port of 7-Zip."

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

http://macitbetter.com/

6. BlueOcean macrumors member

+1

I recently switched from The Unarchiver to Keka after I read about it in another thread here. I recommend.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I've used this and it works as advertised. I believe there is also a version of Winzip for Macs now, but it costs more.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

You can use the cli tools your came familiar with in Ubuntu in OS X as well. Keka probably uses those as well.

9. Isira macrumors newbie

I don't think there is any freeware on the mac that matches the 7-zip GUI for Windows, at least I have yet to find any.

A decent free app (well free for today only?) is SmartZipper Pro which lets you view the files in the archive, but doesn't seem to let you extract selected files/folders.

BetterZip comes pretty close to 7-zip, although it's compression options are a bit lacking when it comes to 7-zip compression. I suppose if you want to fine tune your compression, it's best to stick to the CLI using p7zip.

10. stchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess the next question is:

Is there a reasonably priced app in the app store that matches 7-zip capability?

Thanks.

11. Isira macrumors newbie

None. There is no OS X app which gives you the choice of 7z compression methods (LZMA, LZMA2, PPMd, BZip2), dictionary size, word size, solid block size, CPU threads.

SmartZipper Pro does provide the full Compression Levels (Store, Fastest, Fast, Normal, Maximum, Ultra) and allows the creation of solid archives, whereas BetterZip and Entropy do not. BetterZip and Entropy just gives you some fuzzy compression levels (None, Slow, Normal, Fast), but have better support for drag and drop than SmartZipper Pro.

You'll just have to play around with all the apps and see which one is satisfactory for you.