Need app to control laptop wirelessly using Itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by svhs11, Oct 3, 2008.

1. svhs11 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a High school teacher, and I need advice of what app to buy so I can control my laptop at school when I do PowerPoint(control slides, etc.), and look at documents. Would Jaadu work? One problem, if it is one though, I'm not sure, but there is no wifi network at school and no way to set one up that would be connected to internet, due to school's configuration of the network. I do have an Airport extreme at home though that I could connect to just the laptop if that would do anything.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried to find a topic on this but couldn't find one, if there already is one please lead me to it, I really would appreciate help with this because it would be immensely helpful for me. :)

P.S. I wasn't sure where to post but figured here would work.

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Well if you don't have wifi, Jaadu isn't going to work unfortunately. There is no way to use it without any Wifi Connection.

3. claylj macrumors newbie

Yes, you can use your wireless router to establish connectivity between the Ipod Touch and your laptop, assuming that the laptop has wifi. The router does not need a connection to the internet for this to work. Have the Ipod and laptop join the router then use an application like Jaadu to remotely control your laptop.

Larry

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You don't need a router. You can share your laptop's wireless connection whether you use Windows or OS X, and connect directly to it from the iPod Touch.

You don't say what your laptop is, but check out Internet Connection Sharing if it's Windows, or on a Mac running Leopard, Preferences/Sharing/Internet Sharing - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

5. claylj macrumors newbie

Using a wireless router is the easiest way to set up a wireless network but if you want to do it without the router you can go to the link plinden gave you if you have a Mac or the the following link if you are running Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#2

Follow the instructions for setting up an ad hoc network. You do not need to set up Internet Connection Sharing since you will not be connecting the laptop to the internet for this application. These instructions are for Windows XP.