Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuckerdogavl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
There was a thread about a year ago where the person was asking exactly what I need to do, but it just died.

I have an address book-created VCARD list that I need to get into some form of comma delimited or Excel.

I have not touched WINDOWS in 9 years so please don't suggest anything that has anything to do with Windows. I am a MAC user.

Being forced to use OFFICE in this Word/Excel/powerpoint world I attempted to do something through Entourage.

After I wasted an hour with that, I posted this on this forum.

If anyone knows of any program that will allow you to create an address list so a MAC user who has created vCARDS in address book can share with Excel users, let me know. I appreciate it.

tuckerdogavl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
yes, did that

Prior to your response, I had found this, and I spent about 45 mins on this site trying to find the MAC apps that are supposedly there if you type in MAC apps but all you get is WINDOWS apps. Which is usual. And if you try to "search" anything specific you just get this page of 45,345 WINDOWS apps. So, this was no help.

I did find a program after about an hour called Address Book export.app but it was very squirrelly. It seems to be very close to what I need, but I'm not lovin' it yet.

I'll keep everyone posted who has tried to get this answer - based on the forum threads - for about 4 years now.

bji

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
any solutions?

I am trying to do the same thing, import my address book contacts into excel. Anyone have any good solutions?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
It's not all that elegant but I was able to get Address Book sync'ing with my Google account. Once that was in place I was able to export from Google Contacts to a CSV...

bji

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for that info. That seems to work except for one glitch, which is that it doesn't import mailing address information into excel, even though it does import it into Google contacts.

There's also a site for converting from vcard to csv. That's at: http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/

Any ideas about that address issue?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Thanks for that info. That seems to work except for one glitch, which is that it doesn't import mailing address information into excel, even though it does import it into Google contacts.

There's also a site for converting from vcard to csv. That's at: http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/

Any ideas about that address issue?

Not sure -- do you mean that you can't send from Google to excel and keep the address info? I'll check that out..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
  1. Export your Address Book as vCards
  2. Convert to .csv using this
  3. Import .csv file into Excel.

Last edited:

mjmacuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
that worked like a charm on my mac

thank you so much for posting that link :), as googling didn't find that for me. Note that I had to use a comma as a delimiter instead of a tab in order to get the fields to show up in separate columns.

gadenino

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
Westerville, OH
Address Book Contacts to Excel - the easy way

1. Download and install Mail Scripts: http://andreasamann.com/MacOSX/Mail_Scripts

2. Run the Export Addresses app. and save as a comma delimited file.

You'll be asked to choose what fields you want to export and whether you want header fields. I recommend exporting the header fields.

3. Highlight and change the extension on the exported file from .txt to .csv and agree to the extension change when asked.

4. The .csv file will import directly into Excel.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
If you have Numbers on your Mac just select all your contacts in Address Book and drag to a Numbers spreadsheet. Be sure to expand all the colums in the table.

JanSKay

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Excellent tool!

1. Export your Address Book as vCards
  2. Convert to .csv using this
  3. Import .csv file into Excel.

Someone needed a group of addresses converted and I didn't want to import into my own address book and this tool was exactly what I needed! Thank you SO much! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.