Need app to keep external speakers "awake"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LagunaSol, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LagunaSol, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

I just bought a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers for my iMac. Truly a fantastic product. The only downside I've found is the very audible (and annoying) popping sound the speakers make when the amp goes to sleep after 15 minutes or so of inactivity. Obviously this is not ideal. Is anyone aware of an app or trick in OS X that will feed an inaudible sound every X minutes to prevent these powered speakers from sleeping?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: trying Antipop (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop). Will advise if this fixes the problem. I seem to recall that Antipop failed to fix the popping from my Logitech system because it didn't work with Snow Leopard? I'll give it another go for this Audioengine scenario.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The pop may be coming from your audio card shutting off, not your amp in your speakers. If that's the case, Antipop should work fine. If not, then I doubt an inaudible sound will fix it since the amp won't react to an inaudible sound.

3. LagunaSol thread starter macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Yeah, unfortunately it's the amp powering down to sleep (confirmed by Audioengine tech support).

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Then the only way I can think of to "fix" it would be to make your Mac send it an audible sound every 10 minutes... just as annoying as the pop of sleeping!

5. LagunaSol thread starter macrumors 601

LagunaSol

There has to be a way of sending an inaudible sound. Maybe something high frequency enough to be undetected to my 40-year-old ears?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If the frequency response is high enough, maybe you could whip up an AppleScript to play a 20 KHz tone every 10 seconds.

The alternative, of course, is to simply turn the speakers off when you don't need them. This saves wear and tear on your amp too.