Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
United States
After recently purchasing Tiger, doing an Archive and Install, and then having it completely ignore all my previous system's iTunes and iPhoto prefs, I've decided to break down and back-up my system properly (I just bought an external 120GB hard drive). I have an Aluminum PB G4 1.25GHz, that originally shipped with OS 10.2.7, and was accompanied with a Software Install and Restore DVD. Ultimately, what I was wondering is if it's possible to make a more up-to-date Software Install/Restore DVD, that when inserted, could erase my hard drive, restore my system to 10.4.1 with all the preferences, applications, etc. that were on my system at the time I made the DVD. I have installation disks for both Panther and Tiger. I know that it's possible to make Restore disks, but can it be taken a step further to put the OS on the disk as well?

Also, what's the best way to restore prefs like iTunes and iPhoto libraries, playlists, albums, etc., after an archive and install?

Thanks,
Rend It

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Get a program like SuperDuper and make a complete backup of your drive. It will save everything. You can even boot from it if necessiary. The only problem is that since it is a clone of your hard drive, its takes up the same amount of space.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
United States
grapes911 said:
Get a program like SuperDuper and make a complete backup of your drive. It will save everything. You can even boot from it if necessiary. The only problem is that since it is a clone of your hard drive, its takes up the same amount of space.

The only prob is that my external HD is USB 2.0, so I can't boot from it. I think having a clone of the system disk is a good idea, but I'd still like to have a DVD that can "reset" my system to a bare-bones state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.