Need Assistance with 650M overclock on Non-retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibebyi, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ibebyi macrumors member

Hello,

I've been trying to find on the internet somewhere instructions on how to overclock the 1gb 650m card in the new non-retina MBP's? Is this possible? I'm beginning to think that it isn't given the overall lack of information readily available on the internet.

I've downloaded the 304.48 beta drivers, and have installed them using a modified inf found at laptopvideo2go.com

I installed nvidia inspector, nvidia system tools, and msi afterburner and each have their own unique issues.

In MSI, the slider for core clock won't allow me to raise the clock above 530Mhz.

In nvidia inspector, the sliders are greyed out and I can't adjust any of the clock speeds beyond the 776mhz default (as reported by nvidiainspector).

If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated :)

2. nerdkiller14 macrumors newbie

I am also having this problem can anyone help ASAP. I only have 14 days to return

3. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't know if this is a stupid question or you don't know what over clocking does - in which case Google it.

6. kingweaver88 macrumors newbie

A bit judgemental don't ya think? If they want to OC their personal property that is their business... if you dont have anything constructive to add then don't bother saying anything. People are getting excellent OC results with the retina model (with no criticism mind you), but no one seems to have any info on the non retina model.

Anyway to the OP, did you ever find out a solution for this? I am having the same issue, when I try to use MSI afterburner (even with unofficial overclocking enabled) it only reads the P8 power state which is a max of 400mhz on the core (vs the P0 power state's max of 774mhz), so with afterburner you can only OC the P8 state and only to 530mhz.

I also tried Nvidia inspector which allows you to OC the powerstates individually, I can change the P8 and P5 power state's clock frequencies but the P0 power state is completely greyed out... the P0 state is the state used when the card is under full load so that is the state that needs to be changed.

Any thoughts?

its already a shame that the non retina gets stuck with a 774 Mhz base core clock (P0 state) vs the retina's 900 Mhz base core clock (P0 state) but now it is looking like OC'ing the non retina is not possible....urrg

----------

I forgot to mention that I am not using the boot camp video driver I am using the forceware 305.53 driver from laptopvideo2go

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

8. kingweaver88 macrumors newbie

I've already read that thread a bunch, its for the retina version not the classic version... this thread is about the classic version which is different and so far proving to be impossible to overclock at all. Hopefully someone knows a way because I think this card would OC very well... if I could at least get it to 900Mhz which would be equal to the retina's base clock I would be happy but so far I cant overclock it even 1 MHZ

9. kingweaver88 macrumors newbie

NVM I got it, you can force it to stay in the P5 powerstate, I didn't think this would work because I was under the assumption that the voltage is limited while in P8 or P5 but I was wrong, the voltage scales properly. So you force it to stay in P5 all the time and you can adjust the clock frequencies all you like. You have to use Nvidia Inspector not MSI afterburner... you need to create 2 batch files one that forces it to stay in P5 and another that sets it back to default

for the batch file to force P5
    Code:
    nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5
    for the batch file to set it back to default
    Code:
    nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,16
    Technically you could also force it to stay in the P8 power state which is the idle state and then overclock it instead of P5, but the reason I used P5 is because generally it gets skipped over or only runs for a split second before P0 kicks in or it drops back to P8. This is important because when I run the batch file to set it back to default it doesnt change the OC setting, only which power states are used. When it is in default, of course I want it to idle normally and then ramp up but only to the stock frequencies.

Example: with the power state forced to P5 and the core clock frequency set to 820Mhz it stays at 820Mhz all the time, but when I run the batch to set it to default it will go like this P8 (135 Mhz) > P5 (820 Mhz) > P0 (774Mhz) and since P5 generally gets skipped over or is only in place for a second it more or less behaves like stock.

Ideally you would be able to have a batch file that instead of forcing it to stay at P5 all the tie, it simply keeps it from going beyond P5... so P8 > P5 instead of P8 > P5 > P0 which would be nice because then you could have you OC under load but still have it idle... however so far I havent figured out how to do this.

10. kingweaver88 macrumors newbie

One thing I just noticed is that even though you can change the core clock, you cant change the memory clock beyond 2000Mhz which is the max stock clock... lame, I guess I will keep working on this.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I don't know. Not a deal breaker for me. I have never seen too much gain OC'ing the memory ever (Maybe always had bad memory tolerance in my HW)
    Usually it is what causes crashes. You see much better gains just OC'ing the cores anyway. Thanks for finding the answer and posting back.

12. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I have succesfully set the memory clock to 2400 using Evga! There how ever I can't change the core speed. maybe combine them?