Need assistance with codec.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobbyboulders, Jun 8, 2008.

1. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hey guys,

My friend just sent me a video he had created, but i cant seem to play it with quicktime or vlc. He said it needs a wavelet codec. he sent it to me but it's an .exe file. I can't seem to open it up on my laptop, using unrarx...

Is there a Mac equivalent to this codec or sumtin??

thanks for the assist guys.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Never heard of that codec but my two go to moves are try VLC and install Perian

3. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

thanks xUKHCx. But no luck. i installed Perian and tried opening up the file with vlc, to meet the same results (sound, no video). Even though it does say it installs somethiing called 'Snow wavelet video'...

Any other suggestions?

4. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

Why would a video file have the extension .exe?

Thats a windows executable file??

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds like a virus to me. but as long as your in Mac OS X on your Mac the .exe will sit dormant on your hard drive.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

Crap! what the hell is this guy sending me!!?? I'll see if he actually used it or where he got it from.

As for codecs..is there maybe another packet of codecs i can try out, or am i just S.O.L.?

thanks for all the help guys!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What makes you think that the message is really from your friend? If his is your friend, then he probably sent you nothing. The virus SPAMMER may have spoofed your friend's email address and used it to send the video.

9. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

no, this is really my friend, because i've actually been talking to him. I think he just googled how i might open the file, and then sent me that 'codec'... probably didnt even try it himself...

Alright, im at the end of my rope with this thing? does anyone else have a codec pack i can try, or else i might just call it quits...

its just frustrating being able to hear the audio but get no video!....sigh...

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

This is a PDF about the wavelet codec, From what I can tell it's a BS thing.