need automatic file-synchronization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Goofy Yno, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Goofy Yno macrumors member

Hi,
    My wife lost her Macbook (cracked glass- gone for 2 weeks). She found out several important files were no longer assessable on the other mac or ipad, despite the mobile-me (or whatever they are calling it these days) and home network. .

what is the best, idiot proof app for syncing the file between mabook imac, ipad and iphone. (adding in a droid and pc would be a plus, but by no mean essential) I would like automatic syncs, without needing to physically connect. I don't mind paying for a better system.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried Dropbox?

3. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

I think it's downloaded, but can it sync automatically, or do you need to drop files in it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can drop files in it and they automatically sync to every other device that you've invited to share that folder. You can also elect to share a folder between your iMac and your iPhone, but not with your wife's iPhone. Or share with the iMac and the iPad, but not the iPhones. It's very versatile.

5. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

I'd like something that syncs certain files or folders automatically once set. or is that asking to much?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what you mean. Once you add, delete or edit a file in any Dropbox folder, it instantly syncs those changes to everyone who is authorized to share that folder. I encourage you to watch the intro video on the Dropbox site, which will explain how it works.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what I do that might be an easy solution for you. Get yourself a Dropbox account and install the Dropbox software on your Macbook. Then download the free app MacDropAny and use the app to create a symbolic link between your Documents folder and Dropbox. You just run the MacDropAny app once to create the link then you no longer need it.

This allows you to just save files normally to the Documents folder without worrying about Dropbox. Since the Documents folder is "symlinked" to Dropbox, anything you put in the Documents folder will automatically be synced to Dropbox.

It works as sort of a backup also because if you accidentally delete a file you can go the the Dropbox website and undelete deleted files.

8. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

I like that idea. thanks.