Need backup app that syncs multiple folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pjny, Mar 26, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have Prosoft Data Backup and currently testing Chronosync. I am trying to find a way to backup a group of different folders and chronosync doesn't seem to offer this as an easy option.

I see you can choose your hard drive as a backup but then you have to exclude every folder that you don't want to backup. I am looking for a way to select multiple folders for backup.

Also, is there a way to set a rule in chronosync for multiple file exceptions. I don't want movie files(MP4 and MOV) to be backed up but there only seems to be room for one exception in the Rules seciton.

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out Carbon Copy Cloner, it allows selecting what you want backed up, as opposed to excluding items.

3. davidlv, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

davidlv macrumors 65816

SyncTwoFolders

I have to second that recommendation for CCC, first class application, well worth the 40 bucks! (my opinion!)
    If you want something a little lighter try SyncTwoFolders
    http://throb.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/
    Actually not just 2 folders, you can set up multiple combinations of two folders and then batch sync them or just one pair - or any combination of pairs - at a time.
    Not intuitive to set up, but by playing around with the buttons, hovering over them etc, it should be doable. I had to mess around with it for a while getting it set up right, but once I did it works great, unlike many other similar apps.
    :cool:

4. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Carbon Copy Cloner user here as well. It will also you to make a bootable clone of your MAC. Very useful and worth the money.

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I tried CCC and it seems to be the easier of all the apps even though it was cumbersome to select just a few folders to sync to ONE destination. eg.

I want to backup 5 folders on different parts of my drive.

Photos
    Documents
    Working Files
    Transmitted File
    Finished Movies

I want to back up these folders to two drives. With Prosoft Data backup for instance, I had to create specific presets for different folders and duplicate those presets for additional target drives.