Need balanced advice on buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwbrown77, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dwbrown77 macrumors newbie

I cut my teeth on Commodore 64 and then apple II gs,

I got away from those when Bible programs chose Windows.

I am looking at buying a new laptop soon and wonder if I should consider mac/Leopard.

Here is what I do now with my machine:

Heavy Outlook 2007 use, email, appointments, contacs, tasks. But not in an enterprise atmosphere.

Sync with a Palm 680.

Heavy Bible database use---most of the programs do not yet have a mac equivalent that I know of. I use Libronix (Logos), Bible Navigatior etc.

Sermon planning---I like to do that best in outline mode but of course Word 2007 is not all that great.

Itunes for podcasts and music.

Manage pictures.

Any suggestions/advice?

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

for mail and your calender and contacts a Mac will be very easy to use especially with leopard and you can sync your phone with a program called missing sync i believe. as for bible programs i have no idea?

4. dwbrown77 thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure of budget

Hi, I am not sure of my budget at present, generally the less spent the better but I don't want to shortchange either.

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Laptop or desktop?

What are your needs for mobility? You obviously need something that can run Windows well.

If price is a concern, you'd probably want to start looking at a MacBook if you want mobility or a Mac Mini if you're not concerned about being mobile.

Once you narrow it down to a specific model, you can further decide new/used and how much processor etc you're interested in.

6. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You really need a ballpark figure for us to help you. Refurbished Macbooks bottom out at $750, usually between $850 and $1000. MBPs range between $1200 and $2000 on the low end. In comparison, budget dual core laptops can be had for $500 on Newegg if you aren't chained to OS X. Since most of your software will be Windows dependent, you'd be better off with an inexpensive Gateway or Acer.

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

You can read my review of owning a mac (which I wrote intending to be as unbiased as possible) using this link

If you do choose to buy a mac I can sell you the best software on the market for syncing a palm and mac called The Missing Sync at a great price because I have no use for it anymore and it is just gathering dust.

9. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think the Macbook is a good choice. It will do everything you are wanting to do, and if you're unable to find an OSX version of any program, you can also partition the drive to run XP or Vista using bootcamp or a 3rd party program. This means you will also need a copy of windows to install on the partition.

The Macbook comes with a lot of software, but MS Office is not among them, and you will likely want to stick with the software you are accustomed to, so getting the OSX version is another expense. I think the student/teacher version is significantly less expensive than the pro version, same as with windows.

Good luck on your decision. The Macbook is a fine piece of equipment, flexible enough to run both major OS's, and powerful enough to do all the things you suggested you're interested in using it for. :)

10. dwbrown77 thread starter macrumors newbie

budget

Hi your answers are helping. Here are some clarifications and further questions.

I think $850 for the Macbook would be much easier but it sounds like it might not be outfitted well enough to run the windows programs i need. Is this true? if true what are the real mhz/hdd/memory needs?

Can you cut and paste from the parrallels windows to the mac ones?

If sounds like, from the person that so helpfully shared his experiences, that the vaunted reliability and speed of the mac is not as much as I had read.

related to this, how does the mac mini stack up? I have given some thought to going with this cheaper machine for the apple experience and getting a cheaper windows laptop for my mobile needs.

Have any of you used www.logmein.com with mac going to windows machines?

11. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

How about a nice macbook w/ Windows XP Pro on BOOTCAMP.

You can boot into OS X when you need it; and you'll be able to boot into Windows when you need it. All on the same machine.

I think a MacBook is very capable of running everything you're talking about. Especially if you use bootcamp instead of running both Operating Systems at the same time.

12. budugu macrumors 6502

If portability is not the issue there are 15.4" standard laptops even from big players like sonys / thinkpads etc under 600$ (with dual core mind you & vista) which would work for you. All most all programs you need are windows based. In such a situation, i would advice you to stick with windows PC. Quite frankly any lowend laptop would suffice (may be an acer w/ a modern celeron for 350/400 would also fit well).

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well, it depends. The main thing you'll need is memory to run virtualization software. If you run Windows XP using Parallels or Fusion 2 GB is good and 4 GB is really nice - you can get it from www.crucial.com for very cheap. If you are going to be running Windows Vista you will need at least 2 GB if not more. The GHz are not really all that important, and the hard drive space is also trivial (about 5-10 gigs minimum for the windows partition, most people make a 30gb fat 32 windows xp partition so that they can share the files with the mac os). If you go to the windows on mac forum topic there is a good user's guide for running windows on mac at the top of the page or just click this link. Windows Vista may require a dedicated graphics chip (only on macbook pro and imac) to run Aero well.

Yes

Just as good as a macbook for basic tasks (like the ones you mentioned), but will be slower for other things.

I've never heard of it.

Here's a comparison of the macbook vs. macbook pro that I wrote in an older post but you can see here:

14. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Macbook will be fine for Windows just get a bigger Hard Drive and more Ram at least 2GB's 4 would be better. It will be just as fast as any windows laptop.

15. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I have, and it works just fine. I do it all the time from my 2.2 MacBook Pro to my 2.66 C2D PC. Although speed doesn't really matter.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Either get a refurb MacBook and install Windows in case you need it, or buy yourself a Dell XPS laptop of some sort.

If you get the Mac and want to make podcasts, buy a little application called Profcast. In fact, take mine. I think I have a (legal) copy of it, and yet I have never bothered installing it because I never wanted/needed to make a podcast.

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think GarageBand can create podcasts too.