Need basic PHP if-statement help

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I feel like such a dork... two years ago I could whip up the most complicated PHP functions with no problem, but I got away from programming for awhile and everything just slipped out of my head... it's like I'm a newbie again.

So I come to you for help.

I have a variable, $h, that contains the hour (in military time) that an entry was posted. I'd like to echo a user-friendly time-of-day label depending on the value of $h. (For example, if $h is 13 -- ie, the post was entered in the 1 PM hour -- I'd like it to print "Early afternoon".) So I basically need to set up a series of if statements. This is what seems logical to me...

PHP:
if ($h = 0) { $x = "The midnight hour";}
elseif (1 <= $h <= 4) { $x = "Wee morning hours"; }
elseif (5 <= $h <= 7) { $x = "Early morning"; }
elseif (8 <= $h <= 10) { $x = "Mid-morning"; }
elseif ($h = 11) { $x = "Late morning"; }
elseif ($h = 12) { $x = "Lunchtime"; }
elseif (13 <= $h <= 14) { $x = "Early afternoon";}
elseif ($h = 15) { $x = "Mid-afternoon";}

echo $x;
(Obviously there will be more, as I stopped at 3 PM, but until I get it to work, this is the basic idea.) The above code produces this error:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IS_SMALLER_OR_EQUAL in /home/hsphere/local/home/blitchre/journal.gobecky.com/index.php on line 86
which indicates to me that I just don't have the syntax right. Can someone set me straight?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
First I see: Try if ($h == 0)... if not you actually set $h to 0 and that argument ($h = 0) will always be true... ;)

And, I think it should be something like: elseif (($h >=2) & ($h <= 4))... or very similar, don't have my php book within arms reach at the moment... :eek:

Second, a switch($h) could be better than lots of elseif's:

switch($h){
case 1: { $x = "The midnight hour"; break; }
case 2: ;
case 3: ;
case 4: { $x = "Wee morning hours"; break; }
case 5: ;
case 7: { $x = "Early morning"; break; }
case 24: { ...; break; }
default: { $x = "The clock cannot be that..."; }
}

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Why not set up an array, then return $array[$h]? It'll avoid all those nasty if-elses or switches and also be faster.

Sorry I can't give an exact example - I haven't used PHP for about four years (thank god) so I'm not absolutely sure that would work.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
plinden said:
Why not set up an array, then return $array[$h]? It'll avoid all those nasty if-elses or switches and also be faster.

Sorry I can't give an exact example - I haven't used PHP for about four years (thank god) so I'm not absolutely sure that would work.
Ah, I totally didn't think of that! Just tried it, and for the record, it does work, perfectly in fact. It looks like...

$x[0] = "The midnight hour";
$x[1] = "Wee morning hours";

... and so on, through $x[23]. Then I just echo $x[$h]. Perfecto! (And you're right, much cleaner, too.) Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.