Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for the info. Anyway, any idea on why they changed those directives?

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

An earlier post answers this already:

Apple didn't change its mind. User-removable batteries in older Apple notebooks should be calibrated. Apple likely removed the link because most notebooks in use today are likely to be the unibody models. Removal of the link doesn't change the fact that calibration still applies to those older models.

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Remember that calibration only serves to keep battery readings more accurate, and does not improve or extend battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the info. Anyway, any idea on why they changed those directives?
None of the unibody notebooks with built-in batteries require calibration. It appears Apple mistakenly identified those models as 2010 and later, then corrected the mistake a week later by properly stating that it applies to 2009 and later models.

Ferry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
An earlier post answers this already:

That doesn't answer my question: for TWO (2009-2011) years Apple has been recommending to recalibrate Macbook batteries, INCLUDING those with non-removable ones, even my mid-2009 MBP, asking users to fully charge and then drain batteries.

Now they say that's not necessary anymore because batteries are pre-calibrated, including my mid-2009 MBP.

And I would like to know why the change, if there's any technical reason behind it, something they DO know now that they didn't before. That's all.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Ferry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
None of the unibody notebooks with built-in batteries require calibration. It appears Apple mistakenly identified those models as 2010 and later, then corrected the mistake a week later by properly stating that it applies to 2009 and later models.

A week later? You mean TWO YEARS later, right? That document was changed several times during those two years after mid-2009 models were shown for the first time (June 2009). Not one of those modifications shows current directives until August 2011.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.