Need beginners help on new Mac!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guitarfreak846, Apr 15, 2010.

1. guitarfreak846 macrumors member

I ordered a 15" i7 Macbook Pro and it will be arriving in a few days.

In the meantime I need to get a few answers on some questions considering this is my first mac!

1. Can a windows partition made with Parallels also work in Boot Camp so there is one windows partition total?

2. I have a Zune with Zune Pass so I have 8,000 songs in which half only work with the Zune software because of the Zune Pass drm. The other half are non-drm mp3s. I obviously have to use Parallels to run the Zune software...but can I keep ALL of my music in my Mac partition on the hard drive and still have that folder read to Windows?

If I have anymore questions that come to me I'll edit the post!

Thanks!

2. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

1.) Just create a bootcamp partition, and have parallels use it. That way you can boot into windows still, and have it double as a virtual pc with parallels when you need it. I don't know if it works the other way around (as you have it now.)

2.) No idea sorry.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Configuring Parallels to share Mac Files/vice versa makes a drive appear in Windows. Follow the file system in that drive to your music collection and point the path to the Zune software.

4. guitarfreak846 thread starter macrumors member

So....all in all, a Windows partition works for bootcamp and Parallels, correct?

This seems crazy simple...I'm stoked.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

From bootcamp you won't be able to read the Mac partition.

Also, I'm not sure what Zune Pass does... But there is software out there to strip the DRM and give you full access to the music you bought.

http://tunebite.com/

Then you could play those songs wherever. You bought them after all.

I'm not sure if there is any software to Sync with the Zune though from a Mac...

6. guitarfreak846 thread starter macrumors member

Tunebite can't break Zune Pass DRM...

I've heard that Parallels has a feature to share a folder on Mac partition with the windows partition...is this true?

7. pulawman macrumors member

You are incorrect... Tunebite doesn't break any DRM. It simply re-records the audio, and does absolutely nothing to the DRM track (you will still have both until copies until the DRM copy is deleted). I've used Tunebite with Zune Pass since it's inception.

Only problems I'm having now is finding a program similar to Tunebite or Soundtaxi that is Mac compatible as we no longer use our windows pcs.

8. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Currently, I run Vimware Fusion on a 32 gig FT32 formatted partition on my MBP. I could just boot into the Windows disk nativity and run windows apps that way, but find it far more convenient to run my XP apps using the "Unity" feature of Vimware, which lets me use one desk top for both systems at the sametime.
    This allows me to run MediaMonkey, which is still far Superior to Itunes for media management, or any other windows software and share info between OSX and XP seamlessly. There are options for configuring shared folders so the XP can read and write data the a folder on the OSX Disk.
    As I understand it the XP Partition can be no larger that 32 gigs, and must be formated as FAT32 not NTFS, as the Mac Half can not read or write to a local NTFS disk, although it has not issues working with disks that are networked on the other Windows computers in the house.
    Welcome to OSX after some adjustments you will be very happy with the switch, at least I was.
    The hardist part of the switch for me was that OSX seems to be left handed. By that I mean that closing tabs in close button is on the "wrong side" of the windows.