Need Best AIO for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpiceGrrl, Oct 3, 2010.

1. SpiceGrrl macrumors member

Hi, this is my first posting and I thank you in advance for your help. I am about to become a Mac person after 20 years with PCs. I want a new all-in-one to go with the Mac Book pro I am about to buy and have just spent the last 2 hours researching them on the web, but am more confused than ever, with no clear answer in sight. Can you recommend an all in one that would be right for me?

How I Use It
    I work at home alone and my work is not very hard-copy-intensive. Days may go by without my using the AIO at all. In a normal week, maybe I'll send or receive 1-2 faxes, make 6 copies and print out 10 pages of text or web stuff, max. However, a few weeks a year, like when I am about to make a presentation, suddenly I make 100 printouts and do more faxing. So the machine needs to be able to handle long periods of low activity, with occasional spikes of higher activity.

What I Want
    * Reliability. I absolutely hate paper jams!
    * Reduce/enlarge on the copying feature--custom degrees of reduce/enlarge, not just pre-sets.
    * Infrequent ink replacement. I hate changing cartridges often.
    * Being able to print out 4x6 photos on photo paper (easily) would be a nice bonus if possible
    * Obviously must be fully Mac compatible.

Economy is not a prime concern. I am willing to pay for the best most reliable machine, I just want to know it really is the best one.

Any thoughts?

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have found, for the money, the Canon Pixma 870 to be extremely OSX friendly. It is an AIO, wireless enabled, literally takes minutes after opening the box to get it set up on your network. Once setup, you can scan directly from the printer to the Mac (displays the scans and saves as PDF's), does all the printing stuff, faxes great, etc. As a networked printer, you can also slide in a USB or memory card and print pictures directly from there to the printer, or download from there to your Mac. You also have full magnification control down or up in 1% increments. And it has a document feeder built in for scanning/copying a larger document. And unlike some of the HP OfficeJets out there, the ink tanks seem to last a long time between replacement.

The only downside I have about the printer is that its not very fast. Then again, I don't find myself needing to print quickly that often so its fast enough for my home office purposes.

3. SpiceGrrl thread starter macrumors member