Need big help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zakkk8, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Zakkk8 macrumors newbie

Alright, so I accidentally installed two versions of shapeshifter at the same time, and now no application will launch. Whenever I try to open anything like Camino, Itunes, System prefs, it just crashes immediately. Whenever I try to open a document or some file, it just doesn't open. I double click it, but nothing happens.

Is there some way I can get out of this pickle? :(

By the way, I'm posting this on my sister's computer.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Can you launch the Shapeshifter installer?...if so, use it to uninstall Shapeshifter.

3. Zakkk8 thread starter macrumors newbie

To uninstall shapeshifter you need to have the dmg, and I deleted that awhile ago. :( Even if I had it, it wouldn't open.

4. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

i know this sounds asinine, but have you tried reinstalling shape shifter with the uninstaller? It just might do the trick.;)

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Oh...ok...I found this flikr page that shows the file names and there paths to uninstall it.

However, I haven't tried this personally, so precede with caution (maybe drag the files into a folder instead of trashing them). Then reboot.

6. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

How in the name of Google did you find that obscure piece of illiterature:eek: niceness.:)

7. Zakkk8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Answer and Jczubach! I finally got it! I looked at that Flickr page and took out a few files, and suddenly, I could open stuff again. So then I used Jczubach's suggestion and made sure shapeshifter 2.4 was gone again. Thanks again guys, my computer is saved. :p

8. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

i got 'banned' here a while back, for goodness knows what, and it's good to know i am useful for something. Glad i could be of assistance.:)