Need book suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm a graduating college senior and I guess I'm maturing. I have really had the urge to read a few good books recently. In the past month I've read: Things Fall Apart, Why We Suck (not really a book, just a 200 page long rant that I really enjoyed), Catcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I really don't know what books are good, I've never even looked at them other than something that I had to read to get through high school and college. I don't really know if I like a certain genre. I like comedy, but I have to like the certain type of comedy being written, for instance, I loved Denis Leary's pessimistic outlook. I used to like reading books before they were made into movies.

I'm not looking for real deep inner thinking, although if there is a book out there that would "speak" to a 22 year old college student, I guess I could muster through it.

A few I'm looking at are "The 5000 year leap: A Miracle that changed the world" and "One Second After." I'm also thinking about picking up Obama's books.

A few things I'm interested in: golf, baseball, football, music, history, biographies, politics, etc. I have read a good amount of books on golf, so that genre is pretty much done for me, unless there has been a book that has come out in the past few years.

Please, no Twilight recommendations, not interested.

Also, anyone have a Kindle on here? Is it worth it to pick up if I'm only going to be reading about a book a week?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I recently finished Maynard Solomon's Beethoven. Very enjoyable.

3. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

"Moneyball" by Michael Lewis is a fabulous book (it's about baseball). I also think you would like "Friday Night Lights" by Buzz Bissinger (about football).

4. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Well I'm a history major and about to graduate myself, and I have had the same urge lately. A book I just finished called "Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith was amazing and some of the more recent books I have read. (cheaper than Child 44 too)

Fear Nothing- Dean Koontz

Seize the Night- Koontz (second book in a trilogy, very addictive)

Wolves Eat Dogs- Martin Cruz Smith

Lonesome Dove (BEST BOOK EVER I don't like Westerns)

Hope this helps,I have read a couple books on my ipod touch using the Kindle app, I highly recommend it.

5. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Two great historical works:

Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief (James McPherson)

1776 (David McCullough)