I currently have a mid-2007 iMac that's in dire need of replacing and I'm trying to hold out for the (possible) new iMac and MBP releases later this month. (Another 2-3 weeks is going to be tough because this thing is driving me mad.) I'm not a tech person at all. I'm also a perfectionist who's a bit obsessed about making the "right" choice. If there's a patient soul who will look at each of the points below advise/correct me, you'd help set my mind at ease. I plan to spec it out to the best my budget will allow which, right now (and this took a lot of time and saving) is around $2,000. 1. I want a computer that will last as long as my current one has. I over-bought for my needs at the time. Did this help my current computer to last as long as it has? I don't upgrade when the next new thing comes out, so I'm looking for my next computer to last me many years. How long do MBPs usually last with proper care? 2. Is choosing between the new, upcoming iMac and MBP really just a matter of portability? 3. My needs are very simple: basic browsing, streaming (not downloading) videos and, shortly, video editing for a new YouTube channel. I'll start with iMovie but would like to soon graduate to either FinalCut Pro X or Adobe Premier. Speed is the most important feature for me. I want to click and be there. And no video buffering, stalling, etc., So, just considering the actual computer guts themselves (and not their desktop/laptop-ness), which Apple computer is best for me? I'm definitely going with 256 SSD and nothing less, if this helps influence your advice. And I want to upgrade (not by Apple) to 32GB. I think this will help my next computer run better and longer in the coming years of updates. 4. Do I need portability? Immediately, no. In the future, possibly. It would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I'm hoping to go from being a homebody to getting out more. Being able to get out of the house, even just to edit a video, would be nice. Maybe having a MBP would encourage me to get out more? At the same time, having a 27" screen would be great! My iMac sits on my desk while I'm sitting back in my recliner with my wireless mouse and keyboard. (See pic below.) I'm comfortable with desktops. But, in the future, I would guess I'll be using my new computer as a home computer 75% of the time. The other 25% is when it would be really great to take it with me. And I have no intention of buying a larger monitor to hook a laptop up to. I like living simply and owning little. I haven't even owned a TV since 2000. 5. I've never had a laptop. The battery life (compared to other things that take batteries) seems ridiculously short. (Keep in mind, I'm not a tech person whatsoever.) Also, the way laptops heat up. This is the most annoying thing to me. (Again, I don't understand technology, so this would naturally be annoying.) I also can't see a laptop lasting as long as a desktop... even with proper care. Am I wrong? 6. I don't like having one port on a laptop. Who wants to carry around adapters? More stuff to buy and lose and replace. I have an Android phone and a camera that need USB ports. Along this route, if the MBP gets rid of the headphone jack, it's an automatic deal breaker anyway and this post will be a waste of time... mine and your's. 7. To be honest, I like Dell computers. (For $1,249! Do you know how much that would cost with Apple?! It would be insane!) They're spec'd out better for much less money. But, the deal breaker for me with Dell was Windows 10. N.E.V.E.R. I'd go without a computer altogether before I use Windows 10. Apple isn't a saint either. Republican/Democrat? Apple/Microsoft? Both are a matter of choosing between two egotistical evils. Now, if I could get a Dell computer (and price) with Apple's OS... 8. If I save money and go with a 2015 model, I'm thinking that's two years of future use that I'm missing out on (because it's almost 2017). That's two years closer to that model not being supported with upgrades. This is why I resent Apple. Not that they won't support them forever, but because they won't discount older models. Apple's ego and arrogance over their pricing is nauseating and prevents me from being an Apple Only customer. 9. So, the new iMac or MBP? Or... am I so misinformed in my thinking that I'm way over-thinking, over-buying, and over-spending for what I'm actually going to be doing with a new computer? Could I spend far less on something else and still get everything I need and have it last me at least five years without frustration? I have $2,000. It doesn't mean I'm looking forward to parting with it foolishly. With all sincerity, thanks for your time and patience. I'm just trying to find some peace of mind in my choice. But, when you're a perfectionist, especially when it comes to an area you're not proficient with, it's not easy.